Vaaaanillllaaaaa!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would suggest looking for a clone recipe of Old Dominion Oak Barrel Stout. Smooth stout with great vanilla flavor, one of my favorites. Check on how to add vanilla to the brew. Some folks will soak a few pods in vodka then add it to the secondary fermentor for a week or two.

I've got no advice, the thread title just reminded me of the time my wife got drunk on vanilla rum on our honeymoon and ran around screaming "Vaaaaannilllllaaaaaaaaaaa!" at people.

I've got no advice, the thread title just reminded me of the time my wife got drunk on vanilla rum on our honeymoon and ran around screaming "Vaaaaannilllllaaaaaaaaaaa!" at people.

That's hilarious!!!

Our homebrew club had an "Iron Brewer" competition where the secret ingredient was vanilla. Bourbon Vanilla Porter took the gold. Great combination of flavors.

yep... and it's a kick ass recipe too... one of my favorite beers i've made... here it is...

8 lbs dark liquid extract (not sure what to sub here, maybe 10 or 12 lbs 2row and some roasted barley... like 10 oz??... this was before my AG days... what ever it takes to get around a 1.070 starting grav)
12 oz flaked barley
12 oz crystal 120L
8 oz chocolate rye
10 oz chocolate malt

1tsp gypsum w/ steeping grains (in mash for AG)
1 tsp irish moss @ 15 min

hopped
1 oz kent goldings @60
1 oz Cascade @ 30
1 oz tetnang @ 10

primary for 10 days w/ 1 packet coopers dry ale yeast

NOTES:

last 3 days of primary i soaked 4 vanilla beans in 1.5 cups of makers mark bourbon. Sliced the beans open length wise, then into quarters. Put it all in a sanitised mason jar, sealed it up and put it in a cabinet. Each day i'd take it out and shake it up a couple times.

Racked to secondary and added vanilla/bourbon mixture.

tasted after 10 days, added 1/2 cup makers and 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract over the next 3 days. (30 people will be along shortly to tell you that this is WAY too much vanialla, just one bean was enough for their X gal batch of X beer... i don't know what they did, this is just what worked great for me... i tasted, and added gradually to get the flavor balance i wanted.

bottled at 1.012, primed with dark brown sugar.

tasting notes:

this is GREAT!! Brewed it last may, still have almost 1/2 a case left... i'm cherishing this one. Nice vanilla aroma, and a little vanilla in the finish, with that great bourbon taste coming though in the back of the mouth. I love this beer...

if you do it, lemme know how it turns out!!

Latest posts

Back