Using Yucca Extract in Root Beer -- Is this safe???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMStewart

Reaction score
I have heard that Yucca helps with the foaming "head" when brewing root beer, however I have also read that it can be toxic.

I purchased this (https://www.amazon.com/Supplement-I...00UL3YRRI/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8) before fully researching it since I was in a hurry. It does help liquid foam up, but it seems this is not a product meant for this purpose. It is meant as a surfectant with plants.

Anyway, I am curious if anyone knows the truth about Yucca, and if it is safe or not? Is this product a bad idea to use for brewing root beer? (In small quantities, since little is needed per batch). I am getting some conflicting info online, as is usual.

- Colby

Seems to be ok if cooked thoroughly: Can You Eat Yucca? but raw it is toxic (see "Risks" at that page):

Yucca, although one of the most consumed carbohydrates worldwide, is dangerously toxic when consumed raw because it contains cyanogenic glucosides that trigger the release of hydrogen cyanide.

Seems to be ok if cooked thoroughly: Can You Eat Yucca? but raw it is toxic (see "Risks" at that page):

Yucca, although one of the most consumed carbohydrates worldwide, is dangerously toxic when consumed raw because it contains cyanogenic glucosides that trigger the release of hydrogen cyanide.
I am assuming the powder I bought is un-cooked? I am completely new to it, so I don't know if any of the yucca powders are cooked or not prior to grinding into to a powder.

The powder is most likely raw. But I assume you have to boil the "wort" for root beer also (never did one). You could also try to add the Yuka to the water from the recipe, boil it for a few minutes and the use this as a base.

I thought about that, but I'm still not sure if it is, and even so how pure it really is. Since it's an "extract" and not raw powder by itself, I'm just not sure what kind of process it's gone thru. So, I think until I'm sure about its purity, it probably isn't worth trying to use it.

You may be able to find Yucca (Cassava Root) in your local grocery store. We chop it into 1" pieces, boil it, then fry it with garlic (wife is Chilean). It's also used to make breads in some countries, so adding it as a starch into a beer makes perfect sense. Good luck!

You may be able to find Yucca (Cassava Root) in your local grocery store. We chop it into 1" pieces, boil it, then fry it with garlic (wife is Chilean). It's also used to make breads in some countries, so adding it as a starch into a beer makes perfect sense. Good luck!
It's also used to make tapioca. 🙂

I cut it into fries, then deep fry it. Done right, better than potatoes! Crunchy on the outside, soft in the middle. Like me haha.

Latest posts

Back