Using Yeast I Grew from Karl Strauss Windandsea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomridder

Reaction score
I bought a growler of Karl Strauss Windad sea Heff. I drak most of it and noticed some sediment on the bottom of the growler. So I bouled up 800ml of wort, let the little bit of beer warm to room temp, cooled the wort and carefully dumped it in. After 48 hours the stuff started to ferment. 24 hours latter is was going pretty good. After a few days I stuck it in the fridge and had a nice yeast cake on the bottom.

The growler was supplied with the beer I bought. I have no way of knowing how well if at all it was sanitized when the beer was put in.

My question is this: Would you risk putting this yeast in a batch of wort? I love this beer and do not live within 100 miles of a Karl Strauss and it is not sold in bottles. Attached is a picture of the yeast in a mason jar. (I boiled the jar and lid and was very careful not to contaminate it)

Attached is a picture of the beautiful stuff.

Karls Yeast.jpg

that picture looks good enough to provoke my curiosity... I would try it... but maybe thats just the mad scientist/engineer inside of me... I mean seriously, is this not what people did 100's of years ago? I would risk dumping 30-40 bucks of ingredients on a 5 gallon batch just to see what happens... I mean, come on, you've already come as far as to cultivate it in a jar... you know that you want to know what happens! ;-)

No way I'd use it. That growler wasn't sanitized before beer went into it. Plenty of tasty hefe strains available commercially (be it in bottles, smack packs or vials).

Back