Using Yeast From my Sourdough Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmattduncan

Reaction score
I recently tried an experiment using yeast from my sourdough starter. I made a 5.5 gallon IPA. I did a 2lb steep of 2 row domestic barley malt and boiled with 10lb of malt extract. I used 10 oz of various leftover hops mixed up and added in 20 minute intervals and a centennial dry hop after a week in the fermenter. I pitched a Wyeast ale yeast. I sugared and bottled after a week in the secondary. The beer was a deep deep red almost black. Great head, very very hoppy, not as citrusy as I hoped, but excellent beer. Now for the experiment. I pulled a 1/2 gallon of the wort off the original 5.5 gallon boil and put it in a growler. I pitched some of the liquid off of my favorite sourdough starter, slapped on an airlock and left it on the kitchen counter. Kitchen is warmer than my fermenting room which sits at 66 F. And because I cook and the dishwasher runs the temp is not consistent. The experimental 1/2 gallon was very active and had to be put in a mixing bowl to contain the foam over. After two weeks it had finally stopped bubbling I put some sugar in it and capped. I let it stand for another week, then refrigerated overnight and tasted. The beer was slightly lighter in color than the control. Both were about 8% abv. 1.100 initial gravity and 1.020 final gravity. The sourdough beer was far less hoppy than the control and had less head. The sourdough had a significant flavor impact. The experimental beer tasted very wild, and quite a bit like a Belgian or Belgian double. I preferred the control personally, but everyone else liked the experimental beer. What do you think happened? Anyone else tried this experiment? Next time I try this experiment, I am going to put the experimental batch in the 55 F garage and see what happens. The sourdough starter was originally from the fermenter of an Amber I made using Wyeast London something or other packaged yeast.

What were you expecting? Real sourdough is sour because of Lactobacillus' produced lactic acid, in addition to the activity of the yeast.
However, with the IBU's you probably had, the lacto might have been inhibited. You could have had some wild yeast in there too.

Not surprising that it tasted a bit wild, and had little head.

Back