Using vanilla bean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feelinhoppy

Reaction score
So I've used vanilla bean before In a porter. But not in a strawberry blonde. I'm brewing 10 gallons and bottling for guests at my wedding in April. Not all, or most of them having the appreciation for anything other then bud or colors light. So I decided to brew a strawberry blonde to hopefully appeal to both sexes. But I'm worried about the tartness of the strawberries. So I've decided I'm going to add some Madagascar vanilla beans I bought from beanilla. Com. My hopes is that it will kind of meld with the strawberry and not smack you with the sweet, only to punch you with the tart. Just wondering if anyone has had luck messing with things like this in your prior brewing.

Not really, but for a lighter beer, 1 bean in 5 gallons should be good. I haven't got a lot of tartness from strawberry beers, but I guess it depends on your crop. Have you used strawberries before? I don't get much flavor from them at all, actually.

I've used fresh strawberries a few times and never had an issue with tartness. I guess it depends on the strawberries and whether they're in season though.
I made a vanilla wheat before and it came out great. I made a tincture with 2 vanilla beans and a cup of vodka. Then when it was time for bottling I added it to taste.
I've never used strawberries and vanilla at the same time but it sounds good.

Ya I'm just going by what I've read about strawberries being tart, never used them myself. I'm a last minute person so I procrastinated and this batch is the batch I'm bottling. I wish I could have run a test batch first. Just kind of wanted some opinion on what home brewers think about vanilla with strawberry. I was thinking like a strawberry cream saver beer. Good to hear that your experience with strawberries not being tart. Though there not in season now I'm sure.

Back