Using the same fermenter different yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bannonb

Reaction score
Hey all:

So, like many homebrewers I use a 6.5 gallon carboy for primary fermentation.

After primary fermentation I clean with PBW and sanitize with bleachwater then store with some starsan.

Maybe this is overdoing it, I'm not sure. I've had pretty good luck with this process for 6 or 7 years, but am always looking to improve the product. I wonder what my overall brewery area looks like under a microscope...several brewers yeast strains residing here and there ready to ferment some wort.

I am wondering if I used a US-05 for a pale ale, then later use a hefeweissen yeast for a hefe, then a london ale yeast or any other is there any old yeast left in the fermenter (causing off flavors or an unintended blend)?

Since wild yeasts can be an issue sometimes, I wonder about the strains we baby so much. Can they survive on a counter top or inside the fermenter?

I have heard "don't fear the foam" with regards to star san...so I assume that it doesn't kill any remaining yeast cells in the fermenter when I'm done.

Does PBW or mild bleachwater or the alcohol I brew kill the remaining yeast cells??? Are there any? I sure wash a lot of slurry down the drain making me wonder about the sink and then the fermenter.

Thanks for any feedback.

BannonB

RDWHAHB!

the don't fear the foam isn't that it doesn't hurt anything it's that it will continue to sanitize anything it touches, so yes, it will kill your yeast it that's all you were putting in there.

if you clean then sanitize there shouldn't be any remaining yeast cells in the carboy, that's why you clean and sanitize isn't it.

Back