Using Safale T58 to ferment more sugars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanHaley

Reaction score
So my IIPA has been in the fermenter for 2 weeks. I just took my third test and its seems to be stable at about 1.025(OG1.104) using Wyeast1099. On tasting it though, it alittle sweet for me.
I went down to my LHBS and told them i was looking for a yeast to ferment more of the sugars out. I was thinking Nottingham but the gentleman behind the counter convinced me to use Safale T58. So I take him on the word. Has anyone here used this yeast in this manner?
Also is it ok to move my beer to the secondary to ferment with the t58 and after its done its thing just Dryhop without taking out the yeast.(It will probably age for about 2 months in the carboy) I really need my primary for another brew.

Heres my receipe
10lbs Pale LME
2lbs Extra Light DME
2lbs Brown Malt
8oz 2 Row Brewers
50/50 Maltose-Glucose
2 oz Amarillo
3/4 oz Simcoe
1/2 Warrior
(Continuous 1/4oz additions at 5 mins. of above for 90 min.)

Wyeast 1099

Dryhop
1/2 oz Warrior
1/4 oz Simcoe
1 oz Amarillo
1 oz Surachi Ace

You're around 76%AA. That's not bad, really. I'd leave it for another 2 weeks before I did anything drastic. Oftentimes in big beers, those last few points of gravity go away pretty slowly. If you believe Chris White (of White Labs), it's especially true if you underoxygenate (which you did, unless you happened to hit it with minute of pure oxygen at pitch and 24 hours after). I've said it before and I'll say it again: big beers take big time. It seems like things are going fairly well, so don't worry just yet.

I haven't used Safale 58 for that particular purpose before, but I'd agree that Nottingham would be the wrong yeast for it. That said, t58 tends to leave spicy notes in my experience; I'm surprised a shop would suggest you use it to dry out an IIPA. That's not to say it will taste bad, just seems an odd choice to me. Perhaps someone with more expertise could explain :).

As for the rest of your plan, that sounds fine to me. I'd probably do it the same way, and likely for the same reasons :mug:.

I'd say champagne yeast, or going funky with some bret, would be the better bets.

I thought about it more and took your advise. Ill let it sit for awhile longer. I knew I should have bought another fermenter.
Yes I did add oxygen and a starter to the beer. Should have seen it at day two, couldn't keep an air lock on it.
Will I have a problem bottle carbing due to the yeast being at its max ABV?

Will I have a problem bottle carbing due to the yeast being at its max ABV?

It's doubtful, though it may take longer than in smaller beers. Reyeasting at roughly 1/10 of your pitch rate with a hearty strain should ensure quick carbonation. I like 1728 for this, as it has a high alcohol tolerance and flocculates very well, too. Plus it's just an all around great yeast. Buy a smack pack, put 1/4-1/3 of it in your bottling bucket, and use the rest to make a starter for your next beer. Can't lose!

Back