Using S-04 OK for a blueberry blossom simple/show mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A50SNAKE

Reaction score
hey guys, so far I've only made some JAOM and a Joe's quick grape mead, only one JAOM has finished, and we loved it...so I've got two more of that going right now, and 2 of the quick grapes.

I got some blueberry blossom honey now, ~3#'s (1.5kgs) and I have some S-04, one nottingham's and of course some EC-1118...I was wanting to use the nottingham's for another batch of Edwort's apfelwein (with 100% juice, didn't realize @ the time the rougemount from Costco was concentrate), and I wanted to see if the S-04 was good to use for a show mead of blueberry blossom honey or if I should wait until I can find something else for the yeast?

or which of my three yeast choices would be best for the mead and apfelwein, given my choices?

Nottingham's
S-04
EC-1118

thanks for any help,
Scott

S-04 just like 1118 are monsters. They ferment very fast which means your airlock will smell awesome but all that smell is the flavor of your traditional being blown out the airlock. I would ether go with the Nottingham or try and get a Lalvin yeast strain like K1V-1116 or Lalvin D47.

ok perfect thanks allot, I'll try to find one of those around these parts...hopefully I get lucky...ordering them online is just crazy up here in Ontario...$4 yeast, $10+ to deliver :(...

Wow that is crazy cost for yeast. If the Lalvin Strains are hard to find then Red Star Cot des blancs, White labs WLP718 & White labs WLP730 could all work. I have not used those in particular but all of them are slower fermenting yeasts & that's what I would look for when doing a show mead with a varietal honey.

Latest posts

Back