Using PBW

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBor02

Reaction score
Hi all, complete noob here. I just transferred my first extract batch into my bright tank and I am about to clean my plastic fermenter. I have PBW. Do I just mix up my solution and let it sit for the alloted time the rinse and that is it? The instructions say to use 3/4 of an ounce per gallon, how many tsp or tbs does that equate to? Thanks!

Well, that is A LOT, I use 1oz per 5 gallons....

the instructions on my jar say use 1oz per gallon. thats 6tsp.... or 4.5tsp for a 3/4 oz. per gallon.

You will almost certainly need to do at least some wiping. With a plastic container, use the softest material you can find. Old T-shirt is a good choice.

yea let it sit then use the non scrubby side of a sponge to rub down the inside of the bucket. then rinse with equally hot water then fill it with starsan as an "acid rinse" to get the left over PBW off.

I use OxiClean, 1oz per 5 gallons and never wipe, never need to.

The same with PBW, if you search here you will find this Q brought up. The recommended doseage is WAY more than you need. Again, 1oz to 5 gallons will do ya.

You can waste it if you like, but at the prices they charge, I wouldnt.

The same with PBW, if you search here you will find this Q brought up. The recommended doseage is WAY more than you need. Again, 1oz to 5 gallons will do ya.

The recommended dosage is for a clean and dump situation. If you can start hot (120Fish) and let is soak, you can use considerably less.

Latest posts

Back