Using Omega 605 for Souring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys! I just picked up some Omega 605 because I don't have a good setup and I can sour at normal temps. I'm just starting out essentially but with some background knowledge, so some might be obvious questions. Can I add more than 2 ibus of hops after pitching and boiling again? How long should my second boil be after pitching the lacto- ? And finally, would lemon or ginger mess with the souring at all? Thank you for any help

Whoops, also forgot to ask, what yeast is best for pitching after second boil? I've got a few but was thinking s04-05 or K97, I have a wheat yeast as well

Hey welcome to the forum. I'm not sure how much experience you have in brewing but check out the co pitch sour thread . You can get a sour in less time and with a lot less chances of infection.

I bought a Berliner kit from great fermentations. It says to pitch the lacto with the yeast. Anyone have experience with this?

Here is link to the kit I got Mr. Gorbachev Berliner Weisse All-Grain Kit

Hey man. This is how I do all of our kettle sours and a lot of people go with this co-pitch method. It's really as simple as it sounds. When it comes time to pitch, you just pitch both the lacto and the sacc. yeast at the same time. If you want it more sour, you could always pitch the lacto first, let that go for a day or so and then pitch yeast. But going both at the same time, I usually get to a pH of 3.2 - 3.3 pitching at the same time, which is a nice sourness for this style.

Back