Using keg as brite tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemphill

Reaction score
I recently kegged a Belgian dubbel (double trouble) and it finished out at 8.55% after a little over three weeks. I know I need to let this condition and was wondering the best way to let that happen in the keg. I purged with co2, force carbed for about 20 minutes and threw it in the fridge on 10psi. This beer still has heavy sediment and is a little sweet although I double checked the stopped fermentation.
Here's my question... To use the keg as a brite tank and let it sit a few weeks, what temp and psi should I run?
Secondly, should I rack out of the keg after a few weeks or bottle/pour directly from the first keg? I plan on bottling a little over half of it and pouring the rest directly from the keg.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You have a solid plan. You've already pressurized and you're chilling it. That crash cooling will drop the majority of the suspended yeast and you will have an epic beer. You should aim your temps to 42f.

Even if the FG was in the expected ball park, if the finish seems sweet, wouldn't it make more sense to hold this keg at a temperature the yeast would be more happy?

Anyway...Two weeks on gas in a fridge set for dispensing temperature or lower will drop everything to the bottom and very nearly fully carb the beer.

I'm not a fan of transfers and try to keep them to a minimum (no, I don't use secondaries - with the sole exception of my triple chocolate double imperial stout). So once you've chilled the keg down to dispensing temperature I'd lean towards keeping the beer in the current keg and expect a pint or two of cloudy pours before your dip tube cleans out a well in the sediment.

After that, if you don't mess with the keg, you'll get brighter and brighter pours 'til the keg kicks, whether you serve via a faucet or bottle it...

Cheers!

Thanks guys. I'm not a fan of transferring either except for additions. I'll make sure not to disturb the keg and pour a few then start bottling. And yeah that was my concern about the yeast was to leave out or go ahead and cool. I'll update in a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back