Using Jelly in Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpoppa

Reaction score
So...I have some homemade jelly, could I use when making beer? It has a delicious flavor and could be great in a wheat beer. Thoughts?

Their are wines that have been made with jellies that have had good results. As stated before just watch the pectins. Probably wanna add it to secondary.

Good luck.

I know the pectins (fruit starch...) have been mentioned a fair bit... but many LHBS's carry pectinase which you'll probably want to use to some degree. Pectin is present in fresh fruit but it tends to be HEAVILY present in preserves, especially jellies, as that's what largely gives the jelly its consistency.

Too much starch in beer isn't at all desirable... it adds some character to certain beers but in fairly small amounts. Using pectinase will convert some of those fruit starches much in the same way that the mashing process, specifically the saccharification rest, or even using exogenous sources of amylase, converts grain starches into sugars.

Back