Has anyone tried adding peanuts in secondary to get peanut butter flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleepy_D

Reaction score
My wife has asked me to try and make something similar to Catawba’s Peanut Butter Jelly Time. According to their website it is a light brown ale made from pale, Crystal, Munich, and flaked wheat. Magnum and Fuggle hops with an abv of 5.7 and 10 IBUs. Based on that I figure a mild British brown would be a good base. The website also says they age the beer on whole roasted peanuts and raspberry purée to get the peanut butter jelly thing going. I haven’t tried getting peanut butter flavors and aromas in a beer so I didn’t know if trying peanuts was a good way to go or getting an extract or using PB2. I’ve seen some mixed results with PB2 online but maybe that’s from the vastly different times people seem to be adding it (I saw ranging from before the boil starts all the way to secondary). What do you think is the best way to get peanut butter into a beer?

What dose do you use this at?
It lists the dosage on the bottle and website. % of volume. So just take whatever volume you're dosing and do the math. It usually ends up at a couple teaspoons. Usually for their stuff I use the mid range of the dosage recommendation and it's almost always been perfect. This stuff is the real deal. Tastes dead on what it describes to with 0 artificial qualities. Removes the need to potentially infect your beer with other items.

The exact, yes.
Ah, that's pretty neat. I might have to buy some and see how it compares to the generic PB extract I used last time.

I brewed with a bunch of PBFit powder one time and it came out amazing. Then I did it again and it came out not very great; not sure why there was such a stark contrast between the two attempts on that.

Ah, that's pretty neat. I might have to buy some and see how it compares to the generic PB extract I used last time.

I brewed with a bunch of PBFit powder one time and it came out amazing. Then I did it again and it came out not very great; not sure why there was such a stark contrast between the two attempts on that.
Yeah their extracts are amazing. Far far from the grocery store level McCormick stuff - they're all great. It's quite the rabbit hole to go down once you see all the flavors available. I made a smore's porter once with their smore's extract. Holy moly. So good.

How did you use it?

Back