Using Infected starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickerman

Reaction score
I'll start off by saying, I generally only brew wild/mixed fermentations, so it isn't a big concern. I made a starter for an neipa (wlp007 dry English ale) probably about a month ago, then couldn't brew. I've been busy every weekend lately, and just kind of forgot about it. Now, the starter has a pellicle, and is infected. So here is my question - can I still use this starter with little to no ill effects? I'm not worried about lacto due to the amount of hops. I'm planning on kegging after 10-14 days, so Brett doesn't overly concern me much either. If I pick up some Brett flavors, should probably be fine too. My only real concern is secondary fermentation in the keg (flavor wise), but believe I've heard Brett doesn't function well under 60F, and my fridge is set at 38F. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
wickerman

I wouldn't do it as there is too much risk; use a dry yeast pack at this point (everyone should have an emergency US-05 with their brewing gear).
S-04 / Notty / or Winsor would also work fine.

Unless you are adventurous and don't mind loosing an expensive tasty ipa.

I was planning to just use it & see what happens, but then you mentioned "expensive". I like the experimentation and unknown of wild/mixed fermentations, but with $40-$50 worth of hops alone, it would be an expensive one to have to dump.
Thanks for the reply.
wickerman

Back