Using Honey Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning on doing an IPA tomorrow with a full pound of the honey malt. Should be interesting to see how it comes out.

Results seem to be very different. Will report back in a month or so.

I'm planning on doing an IPA tomorrow with a full pound of the honey malt. Should be interesting to see how it comes out.

Results seem to be very different. Will report back in a month or so.

I use a pound of honey malt in all of my imperial ipa's. They've been great so far.

West coast vs. East coast taste buds. If you want some flavor but not sweetness, use 1-3%. If you want a fuller flavor, go 4-5%. The bigger the beer, the lower the percentage ...imho

I get the impression that honey malt has some diastatic power, but I can't find any specs for it.
Reading this post on it makes me think that steeping vs. mashing might have enough of an effect to be significant though:
http://www.brew-dudes.com/honey-malt/175
So maybe 8 oz. steeped is okay from one recipe, but 8 oz. mashed (with some base grains) puts it over the top perhaps?!?

Pardon my ignorance, but if you're looking for flavor, what are you suggesting is the difference between steeping and mashing? You're just making barley tea. Mashing will convert some of the starch to fermentables, but that's the only difference that I can think of

This is what I've got so far playing with a honey recipe any thoughts

Batch: Honey Lavender Wheat
Brewed By:Chris Sanborn
Style:American Wheat
Batch Size:5.00 gal
Boil Time:60 min
Initial Boil Volume:3.0 gal
Mash Method:partial Mash

Typical Style Characteristics
Style:American Wheat

Calculated & Measured Statistics
Calculated O.G.1.080 (66% Efficiency)
Calculated F.G.1.022 (72% Yeast Attenuation)
Measured O.G.0.000 (0% Actual Efficiency)
Measured F.G.0.000 (0% Actual Attenuation)
ABV8.1%
IBU16.0
SRM10.6°L

Malt Bill
Wheat Liquid Extract6.60 lbs1.0368.00Extract/Adjunct
Honey4.00 lbs1.0351.00Extract/Adjunct
Honey Malt - 25°L1.00 lbs1.03425.00Steeped Grain
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L0.25 lbs1.03520.00Steeped Grain

Hop Bill
Hop NameTime AddedWeightAA%Type
Hallertau (U.S)60 min1.00 oz4.5%Pellet Hop
Sorachi Ace10 min1.00 oz14.5%Pellet Hop
Citra (dry hop)14 days1.00 oz12.5%Leaf Hop

Yeast Details
Yeast StrainQuantityAttenuationFlocculation
Safale US-05 Fermentis Dry Ale172Low– Medium

Notes
Steep grains for about 30min

60 min LME
60 min Hallertau Hop
30 min 1lb Honey
10 min 1lb Honey
10 min Sorachi Ace Hop
Before aeration add 2 remaining lb of Honey
Safale US-05 Yeast
2oz of Lavender Extract added at beginning of secondary fermentation.
1oz of Citra Leaf Hops added at beginning of secondary fermentation.

Pardon my ignorance, but if you're looking for flavor, what are you suggesting is the difference between steeping and mashing? You're just making barley tea. Mashing will convert some of the starch to fermentables, but that's the only difference that I can think of

I agree. I don't think the flavor would change between one or the other, but the perception of sweetness might. Especially if the yeast used has a lower attenuation. Just a thought. :)

I've used a lb of honey in a wheat ale and it was awesome. Depends on what you're going for.

I added a pound of honey malt to 13 lbs of Vienna and cascade it was awesome 5 gallon batch!

I used 1# in 10 gallons split into 2 fermenters. A Belgian blonde and a spring Bock. The most noticeable flavor on both beers was the honey.

I'm about to do an experimental 2 gallon braggot brew with 1/2 lb. of honey malt. Was trying to decide whether to steep or mash. After reading all you've all shared I'm thinking that since it's a braggot I'll do a mash and hope the honey shines 😀

I am going to make a guinness clone serve it on nitro but a little more sweetness in the head, not too much. I like honey in my coffee so i thought honey malt would be great. Can anyone tell me how much i should use in a 5.5 gallon all grain recipe?
Thanks for any help,
Tom

1677507239645.png

Back