Using honey malt in IPA.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwm1485

Reaction score
I'm looking to make an IPA this weekend using honey malt to go along with Galaxy and mosaic hops. As I hear it can go good with these hops. Here is the recipe I'm looking at using any ideas on how it will work thanks.

10 gallon
24 lb 2 row
1 lb honey malt
.5 lb aromatic malt
.8 oz warrior 60 min
1oz galaxy 10 min
1oz mosiac 10 min
1oz galaxy 5 min
1oz mosiac 5min
1oz galaxy 0 min
1oz mosiac 0 min
1oz mosiac dry hop
1oz galaxy dry hop
London ale III

My only critique would be the amount of hops you're using. Based on your ingredients and yeast choice it looks like you're going for a New England/Northeast style IPA right? If thats the case you need to go waaaaaaay bigger on your late and dry hops. I do 3 or 4 ounces in my hop stand and another 5 ounces in my dry hop, and that's just for a 5.5 gallon batch.

I've never used aromatic malt in an IPA, so no opinion there, but if you are doing the New England style, you might want to add some White Wheat and some flaked wheat/oats in there as well. As to the point of your thread, honey malt should be great in the amount you're using! Good luck with the brew!

I think that is too much honey malt for an IPA, especially combined with aromatic malt, and no sugar to help dry it out. The finish is just going to be gross.

The most honey or aromatic ive ever used in an IPA is 4oz/5gal and it was noticeable. Youve got 3x that. Whatever, you decide, you definitely need some simple sugars in there to try and not get a sweet finish.

Wheat is definitely a good idea too

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I will cut the honey malt to .5 lb and just get rid of the aromatic malt. How much wheat and flaked oats do you recommend?

That sounds like a good idea. Aromatic malt doesnt have too much of a place in an IPA IMO. I've used honey malts in session IPAs to help balance to large amount of hops

I've gone anywhere from 10-50% wheat in an IPA. Oats I've only done up to 20%, but i'd definitely recommend them if you are after the juicy creamy NE IPA style

I think that is too much honey malt for an IPA, especially combined with aromatic malt, and no sugar to help dry it out. The finish is just going to be gross.

The most honey or aromatic ive ever used in an IPA is 4oz/5gal and it was noticeable. Youve got 3x that. Whatever, you decide, you definitely need some simple sugars in there to try and not get a sweet finish.

Wheat is definitely a good idea too

It's at 3.9% now, I recently did an IPA with 5% and it was great. It had noticeable honey sweetness on the backend but not too much. That's the most I would ever use though. I also had a couple pounds of munich in it too

Just the other day I was asking a similar question about using Honey and Aromatic malts together. Here's a link to the thread.

Any how I brewed up the following 8.5 gallon batch on Sunday. Not as many hops as yours.

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
15 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 75.0 %
3 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 15.0 %
1 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.0 %
8.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.5 %
8.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.5 %
1.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 6 42.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 9.9 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 8 -
1.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 12.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 6.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool Hop 11 6.8 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast 12 -
1.0 pkg Ringwood Ale (Wyeast Labs #1187) [124.21 Yeast 13 -
3.00 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

I have 2.75 gallons that is using the Ringwood yeast (although no yeast activity as of yet, no krausen or blowoff bubbles) and it will only have one ounce of the Sorachi Ace hops as the dry hops. The 5.5 gallons has the WLP001 yeast and will take two ounces of the Sorachi Ace hops for the dry hops. I want to see how the two yeasts play out differently.

Anyhow, you can see I only have a half of pound (2.5% of the overall grain bill) of honey and aromatic each. I think this is on the high end for just over 8 gallons of beer, but I'm no expert. I just wanted to make a somewhat hoppy (bitter with the early additions) but with a malty profile beer.

Good luck and keep us posted as to what you decide to do. I will report back in a few weeks on my thread on how my recipe turns out. Cheers!

Ok how does the recipe look now.

20 lb 2 row
4 lb white wheat
2 lb flaked oates
.75 honey malt
.8 oz warrior 60 min
1 oz galaxy and mosiac 5 min
3 oz galaxy and mosiac 0 min
2 oz galaxy and mosaic dry hop
London ale III

I love honey malt myself and put it in just about everything. Kind of like JZ putting Victory in everything. LOL There are a few things that I omit it from but I love it in an IPA a IIPA and of course a IIIIIIIPA :)

Have you done the math on that recipe to see where you are at in the whole scheme of things? OG IBU SRM?

Cheers
Jay

Og: 1.069
Ibu: 34.1
srm: 5

After messing with the hops it dropped my ibus to 34 but i am going to bump my 60 min to 1 oz warrior to get me to 42 ibus

Back