Using Hibiscus/rose of Sharon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodwood

Reaction score
Hello,

I can not find a good source of drying out hibiscus. I have a Rose of Sharon tree and want to dry them out to use in a beer. Should I just go ahead and throw them in not dried?

I brewed a 100% brett beer and would most likely throw these in a secondary.

I think they would be fine to be put in not dried. I read a recipe for a honeysuckle mead and they used fresh honeysuckle.

I will try that tommorrow hopefully. It's looking like rain and we prefer to brew outside in the summer. We will have downtime from brewing. I think the trick will be seeing how much I need now. haha.

I'm curious how this came out. I have a few Rose Of Sharon trees and would like to make something with the flowers this year. Was thinking of a low abv false wine.

We made a sort of tea from some runnings and it didn't taste good. Maybe the heat from the sparge brought out a vegetale character. It was not pleasant.

I would say it was a creamed corn, pasty starchy taste.

I will definitely try this again. I am starting to think they need to be dried out. I will try again this year. The plan is to have a nice funky farmhouse or kettle sour to go with these.

While Rose of Sharon is a type of hibiscus, I'm pretty sure it's not got the type of flavors one expects from the tropical hibiscus. I'd suggest one hit up a Mexican grocery store, and get the dried hibiscus they use for Jamaica. Just my
2cents.gif

Thanks for the heads up. Perhaps I'll pass on using it now too many other brews on the list.

Back