Using harvested yeast for bottling.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyole

Reaction score
Hi guys. Just a quick check of my logic. I'm brewing a belgian tripel and plan on a lengthy secondary. My concern is having a viable yeast population in suspension for bottling and am set on repitching at bottling as insurance.

Is there any issues in not thinking of by harvesting and washing the yeast after primary, then making a small starter from that yeast to pitch at bottling?

Should I wash the harvested yeast or leave it in a high alcohol solution until repitching.

Any and all help is surely appreciated.

Forgot to mention, WLP530 is my yeast.

How long of a secondary are we talking? Longer than 4 or 5 months? I've let some go for a year before and still didn't add yeast at bottling. It may take a little longer to carbonate but it will.

If your dead set on adding some at bottling, then saving some from your primary and then making a small starter with it at bottling time sounds like a good option. You could also pitch, well really any yeast that you want. Maybe use part of a pack of some good ole 05 or something cheap and available.

Was thinking 2 to 3 months. I've just heard some horror stories of flat beer and I'm wanting a high carb on this brew.

Any advantage in not washing the harvested yeast? Keep it used to the booze?

Thanks

Was thinking 2 to 3 months. I've just heard some horror stories of flat beer and I'm wanting a high carb on this brew.

Any advantage in not washing the harvested yeast? Keep it used to the booze?

Thanks

Well if your going to save it you might wash some of the trub out with water and gravity. Store it in the fridge. Seriously a few months is no problem, it's gonna carb fine. Here is a pretty good thread on carbonation that I have a few posts in, it may help you.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/seeking-helpful-tips-bottle-conditioning-494984/

I don't think that I mention it in that thread but will say it now, if your using table sugar instead of corn sugar, use about 10% less as it's slightly more fermentable. I used to get so frustrated at bottling carbing so I always try to help if I can.

Oh and good luck on your brew. Welcome to the forum in case no one has said it. Any more questions don't hesitate to ask. Maybe some others will chime in today. The forum is usually pretty active with quick responses but sometimes we have slow days.

I read an article about washing / letting yeast sit in its on alcohol 'and trub and it basically said you don't get more viable yeast from washing.. Which makes sense to me. I'm going to try this from now on..

Thanks for the help guys. It can be a bit daunting when you're trying new things. Appreciate the advice.

Nearly a year later, and I came to ask the very same question! Good thing I checked to see if anyone else already had!

I'm curious as to how this worked out for you? I'm pondering trying the very same thing.

The next question is, how much to re-use during bottling?

-Pete

It doesn't take much yeast to carbonate your beer. If using a slurry of washed/saved yeast, I imagine one drop from an "eye dropper" would be plenty.

Back