Using Crab Apples to increase tannin levels in fruit wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KonureKing

Reaction score
Hello all,
I recently discovered that my cousin has an Oregon crab apple tree on her property. I took a bite out of one and it immediately dried out my whole mouth so obviously it's loaded with tannins. I like wines that are really dry and tart so I'm hoping to incorporate these into my fruit wines that are naturally not really dry at all. How much in pounds would you add to a 5 gallon plum wine and a 5-gallon pear/beautyberry wine to make it dry and tart?

Thanks for your help

If you have a way to press the apples and just use the juice, I’d start with a gallon in your batch.
Also remember that many crab varieties also have a big malic acid bite as well.
If that doesn’t provide enough tannins augment with oak cubes.

since you have access to this fruit,you may look into making crabapple wine as well.

Disclosure- my experience comes from the cider side, not winemaking.

You can overdo the crabapples and end with over the top acidity.

I accidentally did this once and even with a malolactic fermentation the wine took 18 months before it was enjoyable.

I wouldn't put more than 5% juice from Crabapples

Leave the stem on the apples for tannins
Some of the best cider or wine is 100% crabapple gone though MLF using a culture.

Leave the stem on the apples for tannins
Some of the best cider or wine is 100% crabapple gone though MLF using a culture.
But wouldn't i have to juice them and remove all the pulp because the seeds are poisonous?

Freeze them and thaw them 3-4 times then mash. You can filter out the seeds. Use brown mush in the fermenter.

Back