Using an old Brett starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssray2000

Reaction score
Few months ago, I made a Brett beer using Brettanomyces bruxellensis and Brett lambicus. The starters for those beers were sitting around at room temperature for about 3 months. I tasted the starters today and they were quite sour with a hint of typical brett funk in both starters.
Is the taste supposed to be this sour after three months. I used Pilsen malt to make the starters. Is it possible there is a lactobacillus contamination?
I am planning to make another Brett beer soon. Can I make fresh starters from these or should I buy some fresh Brett?

brett can make acetic acid when theres too much oxygen, but typically a brett beer should not be sour. im a little confused, did you not use the full starter when u made the previous beer?

personally, if the starter tastes fine to you i'd roll with it, but if you're worried i'd use something new (or use dregs/yeast cake from the previous brett beer). those starters should be built up a lil to get them active again if you intend to use them

I ended up making quite large volume of the starters and didn't end up using all of it, so there was some left over starter.
I did today exactly what you suggested. I re-innoculated some of the old starters into fresh pilsen malt. I will let it ferment, do a taste test and then make a decision.
Thanks for the info on Brett and acetic acid. I will read up more

Back