Using a gallon wine jug for a yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shattstar03

Reaction score
Hi,

I never used a yeast starter before, last beer I severely under-pitched my yeast, so I decided to learn from my mistakes and make a starter. So I bought a 1L starter kit from morebeer thinking it would be enough. However, the mrmalt calculator said I needed a 2L starter making my 1L starter too small.

So I found a wine jug at Sprouts filled with apple juice bought the jug drank the juice and I'm now wondering whether or not I could just return the flask and just use the jug (since its big enough to hold 2L or more).

However, would the jug size be too big for a 2L starter? Also, what would be the potential draw-backs of using such a big jug for a 5 gallon batch? A higher chance of infection? Should I just return the flask and get the bigger 2L one?

I don't see any problem using a gallon jug for a starter. Just more room for the yeast to grow. Just remember not to pitch too much of the liquid. Pour most of it out and keep just enough to get the yeast suspended so it pours out easy without leaving a bunch of residual yeast behind.

You can make a starter in just about anything. There's nothing magical about a flask.

I use an old wine jug for all my starters. Just use the correct amounst of water and DMe and you will be fine. The only thing to remember is they will not work on a stir plate because they do not have a flat bottom.

Are you using a stir plate?

Edit: Wayne beat me to it. If the bottom is flat enough, you might be able to make it work.

I just swirl mine arround whenever I walk by. It is not as good as a stir plat but it makes starter that is good enough.

Latest posts

Back