using a broken fridge as a fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fretbrner

Reaction score
Hey,

I have a fridge that doesn't work and was wondering if I could use it as a makeshift fermentation chamber? If I swap out ice blocks, would I be able to get temps down to 55-60?

Thanks

Sure. A fridge is just a well insulated box with a compressor coil. If your compressor coil doesn't work, you've just got a well insulated box. You'll be changing ice a fair bit (depending on ambient temp), be ready to make a lot of ice.

Thanks Malfet. Yea, I realize it should work but thought someone might have an idea that would help so I didnt have to swap out the ice so much.

Where abouts in the city do you live? Or are you in Nepal?

I'm in Washington Heights. You?

Yeah...the fridge is a pain, and I've not found a good way to cope with the ice quantities needed. Don't open the door too much. I tried doing it with ice for a few brews back when I started brewing, but quickly broke down and bought a dorm fridge. Best $100 yet.

Any way you could pipe in cold air from a mini fridge? I have the same problem, my $1200 2 year old fridge just crapped out with no warranty. I would love to still use it.

FWIW, I scored a 'broken' stand up freezer on Craiglist. It was broken in that the defrost timer was stuck. The compressor, coils, etc. were all fine. I just ripped out the whole timer/thermostat assembly entirely and replaced it with Auber's 2342 PID in on/off mode.

I guess my point is, find out what's specifically wrong with the fridge. It might still be perfect for your needs if you're going with a separate temp controller for fermentation.

Latest posts

Back