Using a bigger fermentation bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rozza2010

Reaction score
Hi.

I have 2 brews on the go at the moment, white wine from tesco fruit juice cartons and a ribena wine (hope it doesnt come out too strong or like syrup)

They are both in 1 gallon fermentation buckets. I wanted to start another red wine kit off but the only other container I have with a lid is a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. Would I be ok to use this bigger bucket?

Failing that is their anywhere i can buy a lid for a 1 gallon fermentation bucket? or anything else i could use which would be air tight.

Thanks
Paul

You can always just make a lid. As long as it's sterile, airtight and fits an airlock, you'll be fine, some people do it out of cling film and a large elastic band. People have been making wine for hundreds of years, and they didn't always have a LHBS :p

You can use a 5 gal bucket, it's just a pain moving it about for such a small amount of home brew :)

If it is only for a primary fermentation, it doesn't matter.

Get a gallon of Inglenook wine and drink it in the 7 to 10 days for primary fermentation and there you go!

Buckets are a bad idea for secondary (or long) fermentation because of the surface area touching air.

you might not have to worry about the airlock with the seran wrap. I'm sure the CO2 will find a way to leak out from under the band.

I have only used a 6.5 gallon bucket for all my gallon batches. Never had a problem.

I would just put a towel over it with a board for the primary. Then rack it into a carboy after it is done fermenting and let it settle out. You don't want any head space in the secondary because at that point the oxygen is bad for it.

Back