using a 2l flask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had a couple spillovers while making a starter. In my opinion there is not enough head space to make a proper 2000ml starter in a 2l flask which is why I just ordered a 3L flask.

OP, I definitely think you could go by what the calculator said. Only you know the date on your yeast. A step starter for such a low SG beer would be more necessary if you were harvesting yeast from a can or bottle of something and you had very little.

Thanks for everyone chiming in and offering advice. I decided to use the calculator on brewdad, which permitted me to calculate for extra yeast to save for the next batch. I may be over pitching, but this is all a big learning experience. Thanks for all the great advise

Starter that has been in the fridge for around 12 hours. I plan on making 1.5 liters today, decant off the wort and add the 1.5 ltrs and go at it again. So you experienced folks, how does it look?

20150528_074900.jpg

Starter that has been in the fridge for around 12 hours. I plan on making 1.5 liters today, decant off the wort and add the 1.5 ltrs and go at it again. So you experienced folks, how does it look?

You notice how that wort you'll be decanting is somewhat cloudy? Those are yeast cells you'll be decanting. So if you go by the calculator, you'll end up pitching fewer cells than the calculator tabulated, and I think you run little danger of overpitching.

Underpitching is a more common problem (in the homebrew world), and in the opinion of most who have studied it, is more consequential than slight overpitching.

You notice how that wort you'll be decanting is somewhat cloudy? Those are yeast cells you'll be decanting. So if you go by the calculator, you'll end up pitching fewer cells than the calculator tabulated, and I think you run little danger of overpitching.

Underpitching is a more common problem (in the homebrew world), and in the opinion of most who have studied it, is more consequential than slight overpitching.
Kind of this and because you haven't achieved total clarity, I would cold crash for 24 full hours before decanting. That's just how I do it, I'm sure someone will be able to say that's not enough time either.

Kind of this and because you haven't achieved total clarity, I would cold crash for 24 full hours before decanting. That's just how I do it, I'm sure someone will be able to say that's not enough time either.

Yeah, I just live with a few lost cells personally. I find it takes 72 full hours to fully clear out, but it's not always practical to spend a week doing a 2 step starter, so I figure a few lost cells isn't such a big deal.

Edit: I have, with fairly good results, also done 2 step starters in a larger flask without the crash/decant step in between. I just pitch fresh sweet wort right into the original flask. You've got to have a big enough flask of course, but it saves 24 hours.

Luckily the picture was taken this morning so it will have another 10 to 12 hours in the fridge prior to decanting. Also, as long as I leave enough space for the additional 1.5 liters, I should be good to go. This time I will use anti-foam as well.

So I am sitting outside and realized that I had too many homebrews, so the starter will be crashing for 36 hours and then I will add the 1.5 ltrs of new wort in the morning, spin for 24 hours then crash before pitching.

Got up this morning and started the coffee and starter at the same time. I decanted the first step and it seemed pretty clear while I was pouring it. I took a pic of it prior to decanting. Mixed up 1.5 ltrs of water with 150 grams dme, 1/8 tsp of yeast nutrient and this time 1 drop of fermcap. Wow, I am assuming it was the firmcap because I hardly had any foaming when I added the dme. Now waiting for wort to cool in the ice bath and starter is warming up on the counter.

20150529_054903.jpg

So I must used too much water because I have almost two liters of starter. I added a drop of firmcap so hopefully it works it's magic. If anything, I might over pitch a little. Took more pics for everyones enjoyment.

20150529_070249.jpg

20150529_070255.jpg

Did you happen to take a gravity reading with that starter?

For those stepping up their starters you might want to read the book YEAST or look into yeast growth. You typically want to step starters 10 fold from the previous batch to get enough yeast. A 1 liter starter of yeast will grow a lot of yeast but pitching another 1L starter won't double the number of cells in there. If you don't believe me you can talk to Chris White.

I have only had 1 yeast blow through my starter and it was a white labs belgian strain. I made a 1.5L starter. When I pitched the yeast it blew through my air lock and I was glad I put it in the bath tub. It MIGHT not have done that if I was able to keep it in the low 60s but I can't comment for sure. Belgian yeasts (WLP530 I just remembered) are a BEAST! My Golden Strong Ale is a 9.3% beer and I don't remember adding any extra yeast nutrients.

I did not take a gravity of what I decanted, but I did take a gravity of what I added and it was just a bit under 1.04. the first step was 1ltr, the second was 1.5 ltrs. I based this on the program at the brewdad website.

my simple rule of thumb is.... 1 vile to 1l makes 1.5 viles...1 vile to 2l makes 2 viles...so when I buy yeast I make a 2l starter,cool, decant and split into 2(should equal the amount of 1 vile in each) then I make my usual 2l starter for my next brew day.(I also harvest but that's a different thread discussion). been working for me and saves on yeast costs

It's funny how most of you are saying "I never get krausen when using a stir plate", when that's exactly WHEN I get mine. The only time I've had overflows in my 2L flask is when I had about 1.8L stirring in it. As soon as I cut the power to the stirplate, the krausen almost immediately receded back down to the wort level.

20150519_221424.jpeg

It's funny how most of you are saying "I never get krausen when using a stir plate", when that's exactly WHEN I get mine. The only time I've had overflows in my 2L flask is when I had about 1.8L stirring in it. As soon as I cut the power to the stirplate, the krausen almost immediately receded back down to the wort level.

what kind of stopper is that? is it air permeable?

It's a foam stopper, available at most online retailers (Northern, Midwest, etc). It is air permeable, so it allows air to draw into the flask as it's being stirred, but prevents any nasties from making it into the starter.

It's a foam stopper, available at most online retailers (Northern, Midwest, etc). It is air permeable, so it allows air to draw into the flask as it's being stirred, but prevents any nasties from making it into the starter.

Nice. Looks much easier to desk with than foil

Let my second step go for 24 hours on the plate and decided it up this morning. The pint jar is for storing and the two liter is going to be used for my batch tomorrow. It will have more than 24 hours in the fridge before I will decant. The pic was taken at one hour in the fridge.

20150530_081337.jpg

So 24 hours in the fridge and it looks pretty good. Thoughts? I will decant the two liter bottle prior to pitching and keep the pint for the next batches starter.

20150531_075222.jpg

So 24 hours in the fridge and it looks pretty good. Thoughts?

It could stand to clear up a bit more IMO; still a bunch of yeasties floating around in there. Probably not a lot percentage-wise, so it wouldn't be a huge loss if you decanted now. But I generally let mine site for 4-5 days before decanting if possible.

For instance, here's my harvested yeast from a starter I made last weekend. So it's been about 6 days in the fridge, and it's perfectly clear now. Today I'll decant to get a thick slurry and then put into 50mL test tubes.

2015-05-31 13.01.13.jpg

I pitched at 10 pm and at 6 am, I have sready bubbles coming from my blowoff tube. First time using liquid yeast and I never had action this fast! Used fermcap so I am not sure how much krausten I will have.

Back