Used kegging equipment questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherbhy

Reaction score
Hey all,

New secondary regulators were installed today at the restaurant where I cook. I snagged the old ones and some other miscellaneous stuff they were done with, figuring I can use them for my keezer build. Here's what I got:

image-120353876.jpg

image-1893215775.jpg

image-2044892147.jpg

So my questions are these:

How should I clean this stuff up?

Can I use the secondary regulators in place of a manifold in my keezer? Do I need check valves if I do so?

Considering that this is heavily used equipment, are there any safety precautions I should take?

Are the foam on beer detectors worth hooking up?

Thanks!

I would replace all the tubing and clamps just to start fresh and avoid any potential leaks. If the devices still work I don't see an issue with using them.

I would think the secondary regulators already have check valves.

I don't know about the foam thing. Too much foam is rarely a problem for me on the homebrew scale, so I would probably forgo using them and keep things simple.

I would sell or toss the foam-on-beer detectors. As I understand it they're designed to prevent the lines from emptying when a keg kicks in a bar with a long draw and they're replacing the keg with an identical fresh one. Totally irrelevant for you.

Why were they replacing their regulators? Everything should be good to go as is, unless the bar was replacing them because they were broken. I don't see why there would be any safety concern, and I don't see why you'd need to clean anything. The regulators had gas going through them, unless they accidentally backflowed beer into them there's really nothing that can go wrong short of the diaphragm wearing out or cracking eventually. If they work, they're good to go. Nice score!

Back