Connecting Multiple Regulators

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A1sportsdad

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I am still designing the layout of my Keezer System. I have a main regulator and 2 additional regulators. Was planning to use them all. I plan to connect the main regulator to the CO2 tank and have it feed the 2 downstream regulators for possibly having 2 different pressure settings. What is the best way to do this.
  1. Should I put a T in the line from the main regulator and go from there to each downstream
  2. Should I directly connect one regulator to the main regulator and make if the high pressure regulator and then connect the lower pressure regulator to it.
  3. I was going to install a manifold off of each of the two downstream regulators for connection to individual tanks.
Any input/suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
Tom

if you want two different pressure you only need two regs. The tank reg will be the high, the downstream reg the lower. A reg passes the high pressure through the body via the side ports. So your downstr reg will have high going in one side port, lets assume the Left. It will pass that high out through the port on the Left. And it will regulate the lower pressure out the bottom.

Shutoffs and check valves are convenient.
and if you are using primary bodies those side ports are left hand thread. Still doable, just need LHT fitting/adapter.

if you want two different pressure you only need two regs. The tank reg will be the high, the downstream reg the lower. A reg passes the high pressure through the body via the side ports. So your downstr reg will have high going in one side port, lets assume the Left. It will pass that high out through the port on the Left. And it will regulate the lower pressure out the bottom.

Shutoffs and check valves are convenient.
and if you are using primary bodies those side ports are left hand thread. Still doable, just need LHT fitting/adapter.
Yes, I just had the extra regulator, but I guess it buys me nothing. I guess it's just best as a spare.

A secondary regulator allows kegs connected to the primary to be force carbonated at higher pressure while simultaneously providing a lower pressure for transferring from fermenter to keg or bottling beer. The secondary regulator is a worthwhile investment considering the added flexibility and time savings it can provide.

Yes, I just had the extra regulator, but I guess it buys me nothing. I guess it's just best as a spare.
Get another CO2 tank and you can use the extra regulator for outings. Go bigger if you just have a 5 lb and keep the big tank home. You can save money on refills with the bigger tank, just account for it when designing your keezer. As one option, the tank doesn't have to go inside the keezer. And if you do go bigger on the keezer tank, be sure you have local way to get it refilled. I've seen a 15 lb CO2 on the used market a couple different times and I have to wonder if that's a size that could be swapped at my local Airgas.

Get another CO2 tank and you can use the extra regulator for outings. Go bigger if you just have a 5 lb and keep the big tank home. You can save money on refills with the bigger tank, just account for it when designing your keezer. As one option, the tank doesn't have to go inside the keezer. And if you do go bigger on the keezer tank, be sure you have local way to get it refilled. I've seen a 15 lb CO2 on the used market a couple different times and I have to wonder if that's a size that could be swapped at my local Airgas.
I have a 10 lb tank and have no intention to mount it inside the Keezer. I’m building a panel with everything mounted on it and just running the lines through the collar.
My LHBS will fill on demand, so I can keep my new tank and not have to swap it. Will eventually pick up a 5 lb tank for “picnic” applications.

Back