Used keg issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrcmb

Novice Brewer.....Thanks to Covid
Reaction score
I picked up some used kegs and the piece that is in the out post keeps falling out when I took it out to clean it. After I screw it in of coarse it doesn't move but the beer is pretty foamy. Should I replace with a new one or is a way to get it to say in the post. None of my other kegs fall out like that(or that I've noticed). See attached

Attachments

• EBCAB7A3-2AF6-4647-BE66-7771B14DFCB3.jpeg
    EBCAB7A3-2AF6-4647-BE66-7771B14DFCB3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
All my kegs were new in the last year or so so haven't had that happen with them while cleaning

Mine always have the parts fall apart but it's not a big deal. They are stainless bits with O-rings, separated from the springs. FYI mine are new kegs in the last 2 - 3 years or so.

I have seen poppets that sort of screw into the posts themselves, more like an all-in-one thing. My older kegs are like that. I wouldn't say it's because they are old, just must be a different manufacturer.

What they screw down to is fairly generic. You might be able to find replacement parts more like what you are used to. As a bonus all your stuff breaks down and goes back together the same way, a small convenience. "CHI Company" has been a good spot for my stuff, maybe look through their poppets and try to match the style you like and get some as replacements?

I'm more concerned about how it might relate to foaming, that's not a great thing.

Im showing some bubles in the line so it could be that it just needs to sit at the new pressure and temp for 24 hours. I will test out after work tomorrow. I bought a new outpost on amazon just in case.

Mine always have the parts fall apart but it's not a big deal. They are stainless bits with O-rings, separated from the springs. FYI mine are new kegs in the last 2 - 3 years or so.

I have seen poppets that sort of screw into the posts themselves, more like an all-in-one thing. My older kegs are like that. I wouldn't say it's because they are old, just must be a different manufacturer.

What they screw down to is fairly generic. You might be able to find replacement parts more like what you are used to. As a bonus all your stuff breaks down and goes back together the same way, a small convenience. "CHI Company" has been a good spot for my stuff, maybe look through their poppets and try to match the style you like and get some as replacements?

I'm more concerned about how it might relate to foaming, that's not a great thing.
Just got home and tried my jockey box for the hell of it. Got a glass of foam. I took off the pressure and will let it sit over night and test after work tomorrow Trying to get it carbed for a bday party this weekend

Do you know what sort of pressure it is at internally? Also look at your line length and diameter. And - is it going to a picnic tap or something else?

Is this a normal setup that usually works or a new thing? If it's a new thing you might have to look at the length of the serving line and make it smaller or longer.

May not be related to the poppet at all. Though @bracconiere had a good idea about checking your o-rings for cuts / imperfections / mold flashing. Maybe replace them if you have spares.

Do you know what sort of pressure it is at internally? Also look at your line length and diameter. And - is it going to a picnic tap or something else?

Is this a normal setup that usually works or a new thing? If it's a new thing you might have to look at the length of the serving line and make it smaller or longer.

May not be related to the poppet at all. Though @bracconiere had a good idea about checking your o-rings for cuts / imperfections / mold flashing. Maybe replace them if you have spares.
when I checked the dip tube it was foaming up out of the post hole when I took it off. I'm guessing I left it under pressure going through the out pole for 40 hours. Usually I do it for 24 hours at 30psi and then move it to correct post and move it to 12 psi for a few days and it's good to go

Setup is the same only thing new is the keg. I ordered some new post to try those as well incase it does have something up with the rings on it

I always remove the poppet from the post fitting. If it doesn't come out I push it out. I wanna get all up inside that post to clean it good. Clean it real good.

Sometimes the poppet (the interior piece of the post) doesn't sit right which can cause it to look fine until the QD goes on and it doesn't fully engage the poppet. This seems to be more of a problem with universal poppets than ones designed for that specific keg and post. Make sure the O ring on the diptube is there and in good shape. If it's torn or too compressed sometimes there is too much space to engage the poppet spring correctly.

Might need to buy a new set of O rings and poppets if fiddling with it doesn't fix the issue.

That style of poppet shouldn't fall out of the post. The legs are supposed to rest firmly on a ridge inside the post. They can be a bit difficult to remove. I wonder if it is somehow causing nucleation now that it's sitting directly on top of the dip tube.

That style of poppet shouldn't fall out of the post. The legs are supposed to rest firmly on a ridge inside the post. They can be a bit difficult to remove. I wonder if it is somehow causing nucleation now that it's sitting directly on top of the dip tube.
I have several of those. Some fall out, some don't. I find them annoying when they don't come out. Seems to make cleaning difficult.

Do people leave them in place when cleaning the QD posts?

I have several of those. Some fall out, some don't. I find them annoying when they don't come out. Seems to make cleaning difficult.

I often leave them in place when cleaning kegs, simply using a MarkII recirc keg washer. I do totally disassemble every few times to thoroughly soak & scrub. The universals I have always drop out. Those are on the pinlocks I've retrofitted to ball locks. The ones that stay in are original, and don't come out unless you "convince" them with hammer and small screwdriver.

, and don't come out unless you "convince" them with hammer and small screwdriver.
been there, done that.

I don't have a keg cleaner. I do a total breakdown every time a keg is cleaned.

My assumption is that they were designed that way so that when the workers for Pepsi were removing posts for cleaning, they didn't lose the poppet. Just a guess though.

I leave them in place when cleaning the kegs on my homemade keg cleaner. I will take them out every once in a while and break down the posts but I don't like to do that too often as those types of poppets (that sit on a ledge) can be tricky to get out sometimes. They aren't cheap to replace with the original poppet style, universals are cheaper usually.

I picked up some used kegs and the piece that is in the out post keeps falling out when I took it out to clean it. After I screw it in of coarse it doesn't move but the beer is pretty foamy. Should I replace with a new one or is a way to get it to say in the post. None of my other kegs fall out like that(or that I've noticed). See attached

you've never used universal poppets then! ;)

looks like a firestone poppet in a ball lock post? maybe a converted pin lock keg? :mug:
I have a set of those posts but don't recall which keg manufacturer it fits. I'm not sure if what @bracconiere is implying is true-that there aren't Firestone ball lock kegs but it is the wrong poppet for those ball lock posts. The poppet shown has too small a gasket, it should be fat. Here's a complete set.

Last year I bought a keg that needed posts and I ordered the correct ones but it took three tries for the supplier to get correct! I ended up with extra posts but that's why I don't remember which was which at the moment. Look at the writing on your keg though to determine the correct manufacturer. I think it's Cornelius that exclusively uses the 12 point gas posts but don't quote me on that! Yet another caution that when you break down your kegs, to do them separately and not mix up the posts and poppets.
1660672886750.jpeg

Hmmm...there's a bunch of foam on the originally posted poppet so maybe it is the right one? I was thinking it was one of these with the skinny gasket . The legs are longer on this one anyway.
1660673841586.jpeg

Last edited:
Back