Used food container as Fermentor for small batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madman960

Reaction score
I recently purchased some pretzels and animal crackers that came in large plastic containers. 1 is 1.5 gallons and the other is 1.88 gallons. They are similar to big mouth bubblers and are HDPE 1. Really interested in trying some test batch smash recipes. However, I do not want 5 gallons of beer I will not drink. My real question is are these safe for fermentation?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

:tank::tank::tank:

Yep...with some conditions:

All bits of the lid seal need be completely removed
You likely will not be able to get an airtight seal so lack of activity in an airlock would be common.
Move the fermentor with 8-10#'s of liquid will require support from the bottom
After fermentation is mostly complete they need to be kept from UV

I have quite a few of the same food containers, labeled PETE1, that I am considering small batches in. My bottle of Windsor whiskey is PETE1.
I have made seals for plastic and glass jars, for spices, from a styrofaom plate. A styrofoam seal for a fermentor would be single use, but it is easy and cheap to make a new one.

The would probably work fine, just cover them or somehow shield them from light. A local donut shop sells 2 gallon buckets that their icing comes in for $1.50. I bought a couple and they're a perfect size for small test batches, but were a pain to get the smell out of.

On something like that I would worry about an airlock. The BrewDemon and MrBeer fermenters use simple plugs or lids. Just don't screw the lid down tight. If you are concerned about the weight, fill it with water and roll or shake it. You'll see if it flexes or cracks.
I like this idea. Let us know if you do it.

Thanks for the input. Filled with water both are surprisingly stable. You do have to pick them up from the bottom. I was not going to use an airlock as my LBK did not use one. (lost all my brew equipment when I got divorced)

Thinking of doing a MO US Northern Brewer and a Vienna US Northern Brewer SMASH. Not sure of recipes for either.

Will post back with updates.

Thanks for the input. Filled with water both are surprisingly stable. You do have to pick them up from the bottom. I was not going to use an airlock as my LBK did not use one. (lost all my brew equipment when I got divorced)

Thinking of doing a MO US Northern Brewer and a Vienna US Northern Brewer SMASH. Not sure of recipes for either.

Will post back with updates.

You might just as well prepare the lids for an air lock, comes in very handy for using a blow off tube. You are stepping up from a Mr Beer.

I was going to prepare them for airlocks if they performed well.

My local doughnut shop sells buckets also but they are sold out for the next 90 days. 4.5 gallon buckets are $1.50. Not sure if lids are included.

2 gallon buckets at my local Publix bakery, are free.
They held frosting, but they have snap on lids, so, no screw top, and they are opaque white, so no visual on the ferment.

Back