Used buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gravity

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi

Recently bought sacks of grains for a bunch of holiday brewing I have planned

I’m looking to store grains in 5gallon buckets

Issue is this, the only buckets I can find are used. They are either from paint or plaster

They’re all relatively clean and can do with another proper scrubbing

I reckon that if I line the bucket with a plastic bag and dump the grain in , I’ll be fine

New buckets are hard to come by, at least at the moment

I’ve looked high and low- local bakeries etc

I’ll keep looking, however I don’t want another weevil infestation, so I think I might do what I’m describing above

Any reason why this is a bad idea ?

Paint and plaster can be poisonous. Where do you live that you can't find buckets? New ones from Home Depot are $5. They are not food grade and not recommended but would be better than used paint buckets. You could always order new ones, I don't think they are that much.

your grains should come in food grade plastic vapor proof bags (thicker than regular plastic and a different polymer than say your basic ziplock ). As long as you keep it in that and a bucket with a tight lid to keep the vermin out , you should be good . I second the lowes food grade buckets and a gamma lid.

Are you looking for FREE buckets? You can order buckets online fairly cheap.

I would not have issue using a well cleaned joint compound bucket....i believe the OP is using the word "plaster" in lieu of joint compound. Paint buckets not so much....

I believe joint compound is mostly gypsum, and is water soluble and can be easily cleaned very well. If it makes one feel better, line the bucket with a FG plastic bag....anyone that has done any sheetrock work realizes that you likely ingest 1000's times more joint compound sanding that crap then storing your grain in a well cleaned joint compound bucket jmo....

For years (decades) I have kept my bulk grain in the sacks they came in. I roll the top down as tight as I can and use a couple of spring clamps to close them up. I keep mine in the basement... off the floor. It's cool and dark enough that they keep very well.

A few months ago I bought a Vittles Vault bulk pet food storage container from PetSmart and they work so well I plan on getting more.

Paint and plaster can be poisonous. Where do you live that you can't find buckets? New ones from Home Depot are $5. They are not food grade and not recommended but would be better than used paint buckets. You could always order new ones, I don't think they are that much.

The white buckets from Home Depot are food grade, the orange ones aren't. For storing dry grain, I doubt that it matters. (BTW, each 5 gallon bucket holds almost 25 pounds of malt, so you'll need 2 per sack of malt and have a little left over) For storing/fermenting beer, use the white buckets.

For awhile I was obtaining food grade buckets and lids from a friend whom worked at a grocery store bakery. Thought this was great. I hit the jackpot! Recently, I realized I was spending a LOT of time cleaning the icing, etc from the free buckets and lids. Realized, all the cleaning wasn't worth my time and effort and have therefore returned to purchasing food grade buckets from the BIG hardware stores. These buckets only need a quick hot water and soap cleaning and drying and they are ready for use. FWIW, the proceeding was my experience with "free".

lowes buckets and gamma lids...you will need 2 for a sack

Back