Use for AWM wire

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summerofgeorge

Reaction score
I was at Lowes yesterday and there was some 14 AWG wire on clearance for 1.16/18 feet. I grabbed a couple because I figured I could use this in my control panel. When I got home I realized it was AWM...most people recommend THHN. Can I use the AWM in my panel, even if just for the low voltage stuff? I don't think its even copper.

Sounds like you got their 14 AWG Primary Wire. It's fine for the low voltage in your panel, or for automotive projects. Not appropriate for 120V.

Edit:
Lowes.com and my local Lowes don't have type AWM, that's why I wrote about primary wire. If it really is type AWM, then the response below from 'da Kid is much better than mine.

I was at Lowes yesterday and there was some 14 AWG wire on clearance for 1.16/18 feet. I grabbed a couple because I figured I could use this in my control panel. When I got home I realized it was AWM...most people recommend THHN. Can I use the AWM in my panel, even if just for the low voltage stuff? I don't think its even copper.

Most folks use THHN as that is all they can find. I would not so far as to 'recommend' it.
You will find your AWM/MTW wire is far superior to use inside your panel.
Keep in mind, that your 14ga wire is only good for 15Amp.

As for the voltage rating, I'm pretty sure all AWM/MTW wire is rated for 600V.

The Chinese stuff at HF, no so sure.

'da Kid

Thanks for the good info 'da Kid. I was originally planning on using it after my 15Amp breakers. And it has 600V printed on the insulation.

What makes AWM better? Is it just easier to work with than THHN?

AWM has soft PVC insulation.

THHN has a harder outer coating of plastic in addition to the PVC insulation. I think it's Nylon. Makes it sooooo easy to pull in conduit especially with some monkey snot.

This hard coating makes the wire want to spring back when trying to make hard bends.

'da Kid

Back