US Saaz - Commercial Example?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hal2814

Reaction score
I've used Czech Saaz a lot and have recently moved to US Saaz because of the Hops Direct pricing. I'm getting a slightly harsh aftertaste that I think is the hops but I'd like to get a commercial example of a pilsner using US Saaz to compare to. Is the US strain what Victory is using in their Prima Pils? I realize the US Saaz is higher AA, but I'm already adjusting my recipe for that. I just want to make sure there's no other problems in my process as I'm ramping up to 10 gallon batches.

I don't know of any breweries that use it. I've heard it's a "finiky" hop variety, so I don't know how many craft breweries would want to use it. Have you used it in a 5 gallon batch before?

Is the US strain what Victory is using in their Prima Pils? I realize the US Saaz is higher AA, but I'm already adjusting my recipe for that.

Prima Pils is a German Pilsner, but according to a description they do use Saaz (Czech). They also use Northern Brewer hops (according to the same description).

For a US commercial example, try Dock Street Bohemian Pilsner if you can find it.

Hope that helps.

Back