Us-05 yeast cake question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrostar

Reaction score
I had two carboys with previous yeast cakes on them. Maybe a week old. I brewed an all grain pale ale that I mashed at 152 for an hour. Og was 1.060. I checked it yesterday and it was at 1.0040!!!! Checked with refractometer and hydrometer. I fermented at 68 degrees. Is this normal for pitching on top of such a large amount of yeast. I've done plenty of starters before but this just seems insane to me. Thanks for any words of wisdom.

yep, not uncommon for such an over-pitch to get you a bit lower than expected

That's why you only need to use about 20% of the old cake/slurry for an ale, about 40% for a lager.

That's pretty low for the mash temp and gravity, but I would trust your readings. Yeastcakes, and next generations, have the knack for bringing things a little lower than expected (a lot lower in your case :D)

I pitch on US-05 cakes all the time and multi-generations as well. My beers normally finish around 1.008 even with the massive overpitch. I would taste your sample just to be sure it's not a minor infection. I did have one once and it took the beer down to around 1.002 and gave me a bit of tartness to the beer. Needless to say that was the final generation for that cake.

I pitch on US-05 cakes all the time and multi-generations as well. My beers normally finish around 1.008 even with the massive overpitch. I would taste your sample just to be sure it's not a minor infection. I did have one once and it took the beer down to around 1.002 and gave me a bit of tartness to the beer. Needless to say that was the final generation for that cake.

I tried my sample and it tasted great. The yeast cake I pitched on is the same beer I just brewed. It is just a little boozy. How would an infection lower my gravity? Mutated yeast?

Thanks guys for the advice. Its a super hoppy all simcoe hops ipa I brew frequently. I'm sure it will mellow out with a little time and the high ibus should help.

I tried my sample and it tasted great. The yeast cake I pitched on is the same beer I just brewed. It is just a little boozy. How would an infection lower my gravity? Mutated yeast?

Thanks guys for the advice. Its a super hoppy all simcoe hops ipa I brew frequently. I'm sure it will mellow out with a little time and the high ibus should help.

Infections can lower your gravity below expected/normal because the wild yeast (like brettanomyces) and bacteria (lactobacillus and pediococcus) can eat some sugars and starches that regular brewer's yeast can't eat.

Back