US-05 got a little hot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schwind

Reaction score
I had my american ESB fermenting at 70 last night and it was up to 75 this morning. I took it out of the temp controlled cabinet which got a little warm and its now sitting in my basement which is 64. Will this effect the flavor significantly or do you think a couple of fruity esters might help give the US-05 some fruity esters.

How many days into fermentation are you?

Keeping your temps are important during the first few days of fermentation but if things get warm towards the end it won't really hurt much at all. A majority of the ester production is during the growth phase at the beginning of fermentation. That's what you are trying to control with temperature. I'd be more worried about the rapid cooling shocking your yeast.

Chances are everything will be fine. :mug:

Pitched saturday around 5,bubbling strong yesterday at 69, so I should be at the peak right now. I'm usually very cautious about temps but this time it got away from me. The cabinet was set to 67 so I don't know how it got the bucket up to 75 but it did. I'll just let it sit on the cake for a few extra days and hope the yeast clean up their mess.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. US-05 is pretty clean and any esters that were made should be fairly minimal. Might have a little spice to it but should still be tasty.

FWIW, it sounds like your basement is the place you want to ferment anyway given the cooler temps. I'd let the batch ride and see how it turns out after some conditioning time....might be a bit hot, might be just fine.

I started the ESB in the fermenting cabinet at 67 and left the other 2 fermenters(house pale) in the basement at 64. One of the fermenters took a while to start so I put it in the cabinet to warm it up a bit. This morning the ESB was at 75 and the Pale was at 72. Took them both out and placed them on the basement floor. Hopefully this should cool it down a bit. I'm not worried though. It will be a good comparison between 64 and 70 degree ferm temps. I wonder if I'll be able to notice a difference. Thanks for all the help fellas.

It will be a good comparison between 64 and 70 degree ferm temps. I wonder if I'll be able to notice a difference.

PLEASE let me know how these compare. I was not happy with US-05 at warm ferment temps (70+) because I kept getting off flavors - I think phenols - that didn't show up until AFTER 2-3 weeks in bottles and does not get better. So I currently have the same recipe fermenting at 64 but I won't know the results for quite a while.

PLEASE let me know how these compare. I was not happy with US-05 at warm ferment temps (70+) because I kept getting off flavors - I think phenols - that didn't show up until AFTER 2-3 weeks in bottles and does not get better. So I currently have the same recipe fermenting at 64 but I won't know the results for quite a while.

I regularly ferment US05 @ 65 and it is very clean. When I go lower, I find a slightly peachy ester component. I don't run it anywhere near 70 to comment on that temp range.

Back