urgent!! ready to bottle and found this.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indymedic

Reaction score
Tastes fine color is good fg is 1.012 started as 1.040.Wyeast 1056 fermented 2 weeks. At around 68F.

20150822_093246.jpg

yeast rafts...nothing to worry about. You can rack from under them or cold crash for a couple of days with the hopes that'll drop out. Really nothing to worry about, keep on truckin.

Thats what I thouht but havent seen that in person should I leavit for anothrr week or go ahead with bottling

thanks

Has there been no airlock activity for a few days? If not, it's most likely done and ready for bottles.

2 weeks fermenting? Old school me, but I'd wait a week...at least check FG a few days to make sure it's done.

Well i bottled it. Wanted a quick turn around on this one. There wasnt any airlock activity for the last 4 days or so. This was the first recipe I formulated so I didnt have much expectation except carbonated drinkable beer. Hopefully I get that and can improve on it over time. Thanks guys for the quick responses

airlock isn't only a sign of fermentation. never go by airlock activity to determine FG.

never stir anything that is nearing the end, or has reached the end, of fermentation. never. if it hasn't reached FG, then try warming it up a few degrees, and wait.

if you're at FG and you have confirmed that by checking two days apart, and there's no off-flavors, then you're fine to bottle it. if you have the capability (which it seems like you likely don't), then you could cold crash it and those yeast rafts should drop out after 2-3 days. if not, then eventually the yeast will drop out if you just wait. before i could cold crash i usually waited at least three weeks to bottle. but if you're not really too concerned about clarity in your final product, then go ahead and bottle.

Thanks for the advice all. Like I said I had to do a quick turn around on this and didnt have to much expectations. Normally I would have left it for another week or so. I did check gravity also a few days apart and had no change so it would have just been a matter of the yeast settling. Not to worried about clarity for this.

Thanks again

That's cold break material. It's a bunch of protiens from the grain (not yeast) that coagulated in your fermentor there. Totally normal. It always falls to the bottom when I cold crash. Just have to be careful when racking to bottling bucket or kegs.

Some people will add finings to the boilpot chill, and wait 30 minutes or an hour and let all that stuff settle, then transfer to the fermentor. I don't do that though, and it won't make your beer taste better to leave it behind.

Back