Urgent help needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bairsbrewing

Reaction score
Made a batch of beer tonight and forgot that my water hose outside would be frozen due to the weather; normally this is not an issue here in Seattle. That being said, how cool do I need to get the wort before transferring into the carbon. I can let it cool overnight before pitching but I can't cool it like usual. I don't want to break my fermenter and don't want to leave the beer in the kettle overnight. Any expedient advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bigger, stronger, darker!

It's needs to cool below 70F before pitching yeast if that's what you are asking. You can let it sit overnight and pitch the yeast tomorrow, but there is a greater risk of infection. Do you have a sink you can use to create a cold water bath with to cool it?

DUe you have a tupperware container big enough to hold your kettle? Put it in the bath and let the tap run continuosly. I can get down to 70 in about 35 minutes

Sadly, my brew kettle is an old Budweiser keg. Just a bit too large to cool in the sink me thinks

Can you coil the hose enough to bring it inside to thaw under hot water in the sink? Does a neighbor have a hose to borrow?

I already brought in the garage but decided it cool the keg with running cold water to about 100 deg, putting into fermenter now and will chill in a bath going forward. Can't wait to get my chilling plate and my garage set up for brewing, it will be so sweet when I'm done. Thanks for the help guys.

Back