Upgrading to 20 gallons batches - advice please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grossy

Reaction score
I have to upgrade to 20 gallons batches, I brew 10 gallon batches every three weeks and I am falling short on demand.

Are their any brewers out there that have gone from 5,10 gallon systems to 20 gallon setups, was there anything unanticipated that you ran into?

I'm looking for the things that I have not thought of yet, before I buy equipment.

I currently have an all-grain 3 keggle system. I do not want to use RIMS or HERMES system. I do batch sparging.

I have used all the chillers out there, and found that a 1/2" - 50' immersion chiller with ice water works the best in Arizona.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

When I moved from 10 to 25 gallon batches I quickly realized that cleaning and sanitizing five carboys was a royal pain in the A. Also, racking to kegs too forever. The best purchase I made was a 30 gallon HDPE conical fermenter.

In the process of scaling up to 15 gallons from 5 gallons myself. An HDPE conical is the next purchase for me now that I have a 24gal kettle. I'm curious to see suggestions myself, especially regarding fermentation temperature control. I am leaning towards a glycol chilled system like a thread I saw in the DIY section.

I'm not brewing bigger batches yet, but here is what I (and maybe you) need to overcome before stepping up:
  • Where to clean (i currently rinse outside and bring to the kitchen sink to clean kegs/pots) it is a pain in the butt, I would really need a garage sink.
  • How to fit 20 gallons in a standard size fridge for fermentation (maybe two 13 gallon barrels fit, they look like it but I haven't confirmed)
  • How to move the wort from the pot to the fermenter if it is a plastic conical (how close is your brewing to frementing area?
  • I want to move into the garage and convert to natural gas before I go bigger
  • I would consider moving to sankes to cut the number of kegs down to 1 or 2 a batch rather than 4.
  • I need more kegs.

Latest posts

Back