Upgrading the taste of my homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mt_rob

Reaction score
I've brewed 4 batches now, and I have to be blunt - my first 3 were OK, but not real good. I can't complain to much, you can go out and buy worse beer that what I brewed, but it wasn't as good as good local micro-brew or good commercial beers. As I drank mine, I was just a little disappointed. 95% of the brewers on this board rave about their own beer, what was wrong with mine? I used good kits, found no cider flavors, medicine flavors, green apple or anything, just OK beer that was kinda thin or yeasty. I let it sit 4 weeks in 65 degree primary, 4 weeks in 65 degree bottles, 2 weeks refrigerator.

Now my eureka moment! My fourth brew is a Brewers Best Irish Stout kit. Brewed it according to directions. Opened an early bottle last night and FINALLY a great beer! It's spot on for taste, just a little weak for carbination. That will take care of itself in another week or two.

I'm convinced that the difference was steeping grains! This was my first kit with grains. On brew day I was a little annoyed at how much longer it took than just boiling up a pot of LME / DME. But the taste says everything. My beer finally made that last jump and is as good as I expected it to be.

I spent alot of time reading this board before I started brewing, and I feel a little dumb to have not realized something so simple before, but the proof for me is in the taste. Looking forward to continuing to improve my brews as I pursue this hobby, and drinking great beer.

Cheers! Nothing better than making a brew that you would put up against anything you can buy at the store. There isn't enough good beer in the world - you're doing your part to rectify that.

Back