Update on Kit VS Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruceb07

Reaction score
Well its been 2 weeks and I opened up the fermenter to check Sg. A heavy layer of krausening? was on top bubbling away. The Sg was at the posted FG 1.012. I buttoned it back up and the air lock started bubbling away. Will this Krausen layer sink or will I have to rack to secondary to allow the beer to clear up?

Reference Kit vs Recipe posted earlier.

What was your SG/OG? 12 sounds like it's done.. but, if it's still perking.. it's not. The bubbling may be from disturbing the beer.. but, I'd certainly leave it go for maybe another two weeks if you can hold your pants on... Yep, the krausen should sink. or it may be held up by CO2 bubbles. You might consider disturbing the FV enough to break it up a bit. That may/not cause it to drop. But, generally, it seems they do it in their time.

Patience, grasshopper.

Well, I know folks have been prone to say that airlock inactivity is not a sign of fermentation completion, however, the converse is not false. If you are seeing activity in the airlock, something is producing gas in there--most likely your yeast. Don't sweat the bubbles on top. I have had a couple of beers that finished fermenting, but were still foamy on the surface and they turned out great!

The starting gravity was 1.056 which is right on the expected Sg. The Sg of 1.012 shows it is close to finising. Patients is not a virtue that I have.....I have a batch of wine going as well to fill time but with the fermenters busy I guess i will just have to wait till there is an opening.

You can get another plastic bucket fermenter for around $15 with lid and airlock. With that you could quell your impatience by brewing another batch. Yeast don't have eyes so they can't see the clock or the calendar. They just do their thing at whatever rate suits them. Don't try to rush them, it's a bit like herding cats.

Latest posts

Back