Upcoming Kegerator build, opinions on it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muttieb

Reaction score
Hey everyone as it says I wanna start on my kegerator project soon and was looking at buying a kit off of amazon or somewhere with the following features:

1) Forward sealing faucets-the kegerator is going to be in an unheated garage and these seems like a must in this situation.

2) two taps, one for corny and one for commercial beer (i know I know blasphemy, but its just for starters i may replace it in the future!)

So the debate that I am having is do I buy a kit with 2 taps and then replace the faucets and one of the connectors for a corny keg...or do i just try to piece my kit together by buying separate pieces. Will it be cheaper one way or another or will it be the same price.
Another question i have is about the regulator I know I need to get one set up for 2 but do i need to get one that has separate pressure gauges on one that just has a splitter.

Thanks for your answers and I'm looking forward for to hear what advice you guys have!!! :mug:

two taps, one for corny and one for commercial beer (i know I know blasphemy, but its just for starters i may replace it in the future!)

Nah, it's not blasphemy, I have four taps with one on a dedicated Sanke D coupler for commercial beer. I'm a big fan of some seasonal craft beers and like to be able to have them on tap when they're not otherwise available. I set it up with the option of quickly switching a second tap to a Sanke D coupler if needed.

When the time comes when you want more than one homebrew on tap (and it will), install quick disconnects. Or do it from the start, your choice.

So the debate that I am having is do I buy a kit with 2 taps and then replace the faucets and one of the connectors for a corny keg...or do i just try to piece my kit together by buying separate pieces. Will it be cheaper one way or another or will it be the same price.

I'd price it out both ways and go from there. The difference between a setup for Sanke kegs and Cornelius kegs is only in the keg couplers (Sanke needs a Sanke coupler and nut/tailpiece with the proper sized nipples, and Cornelius needs the correct style quick-connects with proper sized nipples). If I recall correctly, my Sanke couplers were about $25-30, and a set of ball-lock quick-connects was about $15.

Another question i have is about the regulator I know I need to get one set up for 2 but do i need to get one that has separate pressure gauges on one that just has a splitter.

If you both kegs at the same pressure, a splitter is all you need. I run all four of mine at the same pressure off a 4-way manifold.

Don't buy, then replace. I would try to piece out. And do yourself a favor and pony up for all stainless parts (faucets, tailpieces, shanks, etc.) ... They will last longer than plated brass. If this is a fridge (I assume it is), consider mounting the faucets on the side.

When I built mine I started with one reg, and as I was able to I added regs and a manifold in that I mounted on the back of my collar. As for the kit or piece it together, I found it cheaper to buy a kit for one tap and then piece the rest of it out, either way research it before you start buying, so you get the best deals.

Don't buy, then replace. I would try to piece out. And do yourself a favor and pony up for all stainless parts (faucets, tailpieces, shanks, etc.) ... They will last longer than plated brass. If this is a fridge (I assume it is), consider mounting the faucets on the side.

Whats the reasoning behind mounting on the inside of the fridge. I like the idea of having them stick out from the door both convenience and the look of it. But i have heard this before, is it to keep it colder or is it more sanitized in the fridge?

If you both kegs at the same pressure, a splitter is all you need. I run all four of mine at the same pressure off a 4-way manifold.

sounds good I wasn't too sure if there would be times where I would need different pressures, are there any types of beer besides stouts where I would actually need different pressures.

Back