Unsanitized spoon in wort? :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toestothesun

Reaction score
I know I need to relax but I would like to get the opinions of the more experienced... Basically, I was rehydrating my yeast by placing my chilled wort into the yeast mixture by the tablespoonful. Anyhow, I reached down and grabbed the wrong tablespoon (one not sanitized). I did it once, but considering it was a spoon that's washed with my regular dishes, etc., do you think this ruined my batch?

Maybe I'm being paranoid but considering the importance of sanitization, I'm definitely worried. If you guys have any advice/suggestions/similar mistakes, please chime in.

Thanks in advance:mug:

I've poured almost half a batch into my fermenter through an unsanitized funnel and the beer came out great.

You'll be fine. As I've read on here before, beers been made for thousands of years without our modern sanitizing practices.

Always sanitize everything. But if you forget on one or two things don't panic. I got absolutely trashed for my first 5 or 10 batches and sanitation was obviously sketchy. The result was some of the best beers I've ever made.

I have a Tripel called Forgotten Hops because I was too trashed to write down what hops I was adding throughout the boil. Don't remember pitching the yeast or anything. Easily one of the best beers I've ever made. :p

Always sanitize everything. But if you forget on one or two things don't panic. I got absolutely trashed for my first 5 or 10 batches and sanitation was obviously sketchy. The result was some of the best beers I've ever made.

I have a Tripel called Forgotten Hops because I was too trashed to write down what hops I was adding throughout the boil. Don't remember pitching the yeast or anything. Easily one of the best beers I've ever made. :p

Hahaha you may want to think about only having a few homebrews while brewing and save the heavy drinking for after lol

Not to worry; the beer should be fine.

We practice strict sanitation to minimize the possibility of introducing outside bacteria and/or wild yeast. The thing is, most of the time--assuming the yeast you pitch is healthy and active, and you pitch right away--the yeast will take control of your wort before anything else has a chance to.

Now, of course we don't want to leave it up to fate, which is why sanitation is so important. But it *is* nice to remember on those days when an unsanitized utensil makes it's way into the wort.

Some of my slip ups so far, which produced great beer anyway:

Splashing "water bath" water into my wort, dipping my hand into the wort, and dropping unsanitized bottle caps into the wort (which I had to leave until I racked over to the fermenter). not to mention I've topped off every single batch with unboiled tap water.

Not a single infection or off flavor to speak of. You should really read this thread too: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

:mug:

I sanitized everything meticulously today and right after I stirred up the yeast I realized the whisk never made it into the star san bucket. This thread calms my nerves slightly, everything was perfect, nailed the temps, 78% efficiency for my second all grain ever and then rushed a step as I was worried about the clumps sinking to the bottom and being out of reach.

I dropped a 2.5 gallon jug into my primary when I was filling it. Obviously it was not sanitized. The batch isn't done yet, but I see no signs of infection (knocks on wood).

Back