uneven mash temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclingpole

Reaction score
Hi,

I brewed 3 all grain batches so far and they have been progressively getting better. One challenge I'm facing is the temp variations of my mash. I use two thermometers; one floating and one digital (with a steel probe) to monitor it.

Depending on where each thermometer is in the mash I get two completely different reading. I know both thermometers are accurate to each other +/- 1 degree.

The floating thermometer could be in the center of the mash and read 158 degrees while the probe 3-4 inches from it will say 165. When I move them around, I get different temps all over again. When they're right next to each other they both read the same temperature.

Is it normal for the temp to vary from one part of the mash to the other? I'm brewing with 8lbs of MO and 10 gallon Polarware Pot (plus false bottom) with an electric burner under it to raise the temp if it drops too much.

What can I do to even out the temperature?

thanks!

some ideas -

insulate pot with reflectix or similar
stir well for a few minutes
get rid of one thermometer

If it's warmer at the edge than the center, I'd say you're not stirring enough at the start of your mash.

When are you taking these temperatures?? It takes about 3-5 minutes for your grains to come up to temp after you stir them into the strike water....You should dough in, wait a few minutes, then stir again to equalize temps.

Also, what mash temp are you shooting for, and what's your strike temp? 158 is on the high end for mashing, and if you have half your mash at 165 that probably means you're striking way too hot, (unless you are trying to mash at 160 or above)....

Hi,

I use two thermometers; one floating and one digital (with a steel probe) to monitor it.

Keep in mind that if you are using a digital probe with a wire leading to the digital reader, as soon as that wire gets at all wet (even from condensation), it throws off the reading.

Good point, I have the thermometer wire in silicone tubing (found this tip in the equipment forum, works like a charm!), the tubing is rated up to 500 degrees.

The strike temp is 175 per BeerSmith which I found to be too warm, during my 2nd batch I had to chill the mash because it was in the high 160s after adding strike water. Don't know why BeerSmith was/is off so much.

jake

Back