Understanding California Common

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natethebrewer

Reaction score
So I have a partial mash California Common coming up but I'm struggling to justify the recipe.
If the style in theory is a lager fermented at ale temps.
Why then do most versions call for crystal malt and other darker grains?
Should it not be a straight forward lager recipe, malt, hop, mash, and yeast included, the only difference being the fermentation temp?

So I have a partial mash California Common coming up but I'm struggling to justify the recipe.
Should it not be a straight forward lager recipe, malt, hop, mash, and yeast included, the only difference being the fermentation temp?

The style itself come from the California brewers and it's not simply a typical light lager fermented at ale temperatures. It's more like a European amber lager (like Oktoberfest) in ingredients.

If you wanted to make it a lager recipe fermented at ale temps you could but then you wouldn't be make a stylistically correct California Common. If anything I think the beer is an Ale fermented with a lager yeast at ale temperatures. Wow that sounded confusing. Anyways, just go simple with base grain and crystal malt. I just cashed a keg of that stuff and it was awesome. Used Northern Brewer hops for the bittering additions and Cascade for late additions and dry hopping.

I have the same hop schedule set up so its good to know they work well.
I'm not crazy about the style but thing it carries a bit of a misnomer.
ale at ale temps with lager yeast makes perfect sense and from what I can tell is a more accurate description.
I've seen very little in the way of lager processes to make me think otherwise

i like my CCs to be somewhere between an APA and AAA - the focus should be on the northern brewer hops with a nice crisp finish

some like them more crystal malt oriented, i like mine with a little bit of bready notes, i use just a touch of amber malt but biscuit/victory malt also work well

I don't think you need the northern brewer focus for a CC. If you want an Anchor Steam you do but I don't think every beer should be held to that standard and you should be able to push whatever hop combo you want within reason.

I also lagered my Common for a month just because I had space in the freezer to do so so I guess mine had one more lagerish characteristic added to it.

I added some vienna and some malted wheat to what was already crushed (2 row caramel 40L and cara-pils) it's at 152 now, I'll probably decoct on my way to sparging.
What is appropriate IBU for this style? I'm currently about 40 or so. Looks like an American pale, with Lager yeast.
Man, what a weird style

What does that have to do with the grains in the recipe?

And why is that? I'm not sure that you understand the breadth of the lager world.

The style itself come from the California brewers and it's not simply a typical light lager fermented at ale temperatures. It's more like a European amber lager (like Oktoberfest) in ingredients.
\

I would say it is more similar to a British ESB, with a pale malt base augmented with crystal for color & flavor.

BigEd,
From what I have read California common has been described to me as I had listed it at the start, and because of that it appears to me that most recipes for this style are more like pale ales, low gravity IPAs and things of the like only using a lager yeast (at ale temps) instead of the run-of-the-mill ale yeast.
I understand that the "lager world" has "breadth" on par of above (in some opinions) to that of the "ale world" but are there not certain techniques that could be considered "lager specific"?
Is there a time and a place for particular ingredients to make a particular beer? and while things like Munich and biscuit malts have similar colors, they have different tastes.
It seems to me that if it is a style based upon 19th century lager brewers in California doing the best they could without proper lager temperatures, why then does it not feel that way when one reads a California Common recipe.
And again the thread was titled "understanding California Common" not "Nate Knows Best"

Well, most beer styles do tend to conform to the BJCP guidelines, both lagers and ales.

for example, California common:

7B. California Common Beer

Aroma: Typically showcases the signature Northern Brewer hops (with woody, rustic or minty qualities) in moderate to high strength. Light fruitiness acceptable. Low to moderate caramel and/or toasty malt aromatics support the hops. No diacetyl.

Appearance: Medium amber to light copper color. Generally clear. Moderate off-white head with good retention.

Flavor: Moderately malty with a pronounced hop bitterness. The malt character is usually toasty (not roasted) and caramelly. Low to moderately high hop flavor, usually showing Northern Brewer qualities (woody, rustic, minty). Finish fairly dry and crisp, with a lingering hop bitterness and a firm, grainy malt flavor. Light fruity esters are acceptable, but otherwise clean. No diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium to medium-high carbonation.

Overall Impression: A lightly fruity beer with firm, grainy maltiness, interesting toasty and caramel flavors, and showcasing the signature Northern Brewer varietal hop character.

Comments: This style is narrowly defined around the prototypical Anchor Steam example. Superficially similar to an American pale or amber ale, yet differs in that the hop flavor/aroma is woody/minty rather than citrusy, malt flavors are toasty and caramelly, the hopping is always assertive, and a warm-fermented lager yeast is used.

History: American West Coast original. Large shallow open fermenters (coolships) were traditionally used to compensate for the absence of refrigeration and to take advantage of the cool ambient temperatures in the San Francisco Bay area. Fermented with a lager yeast, but one that was selected to thrive at the cool end of normal ale fermentation temperatures.

Ingredients: Pale ale malt, American hops (usually Northern Brewer, rather than citrusy varieties), small amounts of toasted malt and/or crystal malts. Lager yeast, however some strains (often with the mention of “California” in the name) work better than others at the warmer fermentation temperatures (55 to 60?F) used. Note that some German yeast strains produce inappropriate sulfury character. Water should have relatively low sulfate and low to moderate carbonate levels.

Now, that's not to say that anybody has to conform to that guideline, unless they are entering a competition.

Remember that there are MANY types of lagers that vary greatly in ingredients also. Some lagers are light and crisp, while others are dark and heavy (say, light lager like Pilsner Urquell and dopplebock like Paulaner Salvator). Those two beers are nothing at all alike, and they are both lagers.

Crystal malt is not normally used in pilsner, but it is a common ingredient in Oktoberfest and Vienna lager. So a California common's grainbill isn't out of line with a traditional lager at all, but the traditional use of northern brewer hops and fermenting it with a lager yeast at ale temperatures firmly puts it in the "hybrid" category.

Another thing that I have noted in California common is a "toasty" note along with the subtle fruitiness from the higher fermentation temperature. I always lager my steam beers, and love that style of beer.

I guess my main point is that when you asked about a "straightforward lager recipe", what exactly is that? Since some lagers have only pilsner malt, some lagers have roasted malt, some lagers have crystal malt (just as ales do), what does that really mean? Unless someone is only considering one very narrow style of lager (say, Bohemian pilsner), then every lager style has a significantly different grain bill than another.

I'll concede to styles conforming to BJCP guidelines, and perhaps my beef is with those guidelines rather than anybody on this forum.
I'm still wrapping my head around lagering a beer that "is fermented at ale temperature" I mean my ales even benefit from a few days in cooler temps, but it seems like that would be a departure from style and guidelines, even a side step away from the original point.
Again I understand lagers vary quite a lot, and I won't argue that. And I would appreciate not being reminded again (Thank You)
I came into this believing that all of the recipes I had seen for California Common were English/American ales with a lager yeast. Call me jaded but I don't see what the big deal is if that's the case. Now I'll accept that this style could be modeled after Oktoberfest or Vienna styles, but why then do we stop at medium crystal malt.? I still feel like the style is missing something. Feels like it has the potential to be a historically more fun beer to brew.
Perhaps some proper research is due before I light any more fires.

The style guidelines for California Common are closely tied to Anchor Steam Beer probably for two reasons. While this style was brewed by a number of brewers many decades ago, Anchor was the last man standing and the only remaining producer of the style as of the late 1960s when Fritz Maytag had bought the brewery. At some point after that Fritz and Anchor copyrighted the term "Steam Beer" and the name California Common was developed as a way of describing the beer style without violating the copyright of the Anchor Brewery. Now if you want to brew a Cal Common for a competition it's a good idea to keep the numbers close to Anchor but you can certainly broaden the approach and do something lighter, darker, different hops, etc as it is a good bet that in the years between 1860 and 1960 the different breweries offering the "Steam" style were not all making exactly the same beer. Since Northern Brewer hops weren't developed until the 1930s anything made in the "Steam Beer" style up to that time would have had to use other hops. I think old American hops like Cluster and things like traditional UK varieties such as EKG/Fuggles and maybe even German Hallertau were all likely used during that time frame.

The yeast for Anchor Steam is considered a lager yeast although if you taste an Anchor after have drunk a true lager like a PU or a German offering there is some noticeable ester content. Conversely if you follow a nice British ale with an Anchor it tastes remarkably clean and lager-like. I don't know if Anchor ever states at exactly what temperature they ferment but you could manipulate the ester output by fermenting at the ends of the suggested temperature range of the California Common yeasts available from Wyeast and White Labs. :mug:

Back