Underpowered motor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nduetime

Reaction score
So I picked up a couple of motors for free, wondering if they might work for my tiny, discontinued 3b grain mill (I only brew 1/2 batch size batches). After my initial reading, these two motors are not going to work because of their hp and torque numbers. Can anyone verify this? This is my first time exploring motorizing my mill and don't mind milling 5-6 lbs. of grain by hand should I have to continue. Just thought I'd take a chance at the free price.

image-3032417999.jpg

image-883365738.jpg

With a torque specification of 6.6 in-lbs I would doubt that it would power a mill. My Crankandstein works well with a 60 in-lb 177 rpm motor. Your motors also require 115v DC for a power source; hard to get in a home environment without a lot of expense.

Check through the threads about mill motors, you'll find several opinions about rpm and torque, with suggestions for roller mill requirements ranging from 100-300 rpm and 40 in-lb and up. I've never looked for requirements for flat plate mills.

If that shaft rpm spec really does mean "2.5 RPM", the shaft torque would be the least of your problems running a mill...

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply. I've actually been messaging another wise member regarding motor options. Thanks again for the help.

This is just a side note, Heating and A/C shops will have a scrap pile of all the used parts outside by the trash, like blower motors. A 5/16" nutdriver and some side cutters will get you a free motor. As long as the motor does not have a burnt odor, or locked shaft, it should work.

Latest posts

Back