Under my umbr-Ella

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherwicf

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for some feedback on an all Ella hopped beer. I'm mashing in for 10gal and 5gal will become a single hopped Motueka and one will become a single hopped Ella. Here's the malt bill(which is locked in)..
10kg of 2 row
1kg of rolled oats(for body)
500g of Crystal 120(colour + caramel)

I have 200g of Ella so I was considering
10g FWH(or 60mins)
20 @15mins
40 @ steep/whirlpool
130g dry hop.

That'll give me ~47IBU in a 6.4% beer.

Im looking for something balanced but with body aroma.....and some suggestions on hopping schedules:)

Thanks

Looks, good to me. I had a single hopped pale ale from a local brewery and it was fantastic. It was spicy with some citrus, not at all one dimensional. Though that is a large amount of hops for dry hopping, I might move 30g or so to later in the boil to contribute more flavor, if you have to use it all for this batch. I will be seeing how this turns out, I might have to steal this recipe from you.

Update:
Brewday went well. Unfortunately ran out of Whirlfloc and my fridge went kaput about 4 days into dry hop so I could cold crash. Definitely had worse things go wrong!! Relaxed...had a homebrew

Yeast was WLP001

Tasting notes: Aroma - Personally, I think its citrus-y rather than floral. Smell is the right amount of intensity I think, wouldn't increase. Flavour - a little tickle of spice to go along with the citrus notes. Not at all one dimensional but there are a few flat spots across the palate.

If I was re-brewing I'd add an additional 25% of Simcoe to the Dry Hop and the Whirlpool but thats about all. Oh and floculant, for sure floculant. Looked almost NE-IPA territory.

Back