Under Carb Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nimand

Reaction score
So I just got back into brewing again and am having the same ol' problem that I usually have. First off I thought the batch was going to be terrible b/c of yeast problems but it turned out fine so far. The problem im having seems to be a bit undercarbing.
I have had this problem a lot b/c I usually try and hit the mid lvl of the carb for the type of beer im brewing. This type I went the highest on a nutbrown ale but Im still having carb issues. Some super flat some decent which is weird b/c I make a priming solution. Also I am getting "that homebrew beer smell" from my glass when drinking. When does that go away? Is it an extract problem or a yeast problem?

If some are well-carbed and some aren't, I suspect your priming solution isn't being mixed thoroughly with the beer. Try stirring it gently (so you don't oxidate the beer) as you add the beer.

Definitely need some more information. From the two previous posts, how much do you use, what kind of priming sugar, what is your procedure in making the solution, how well do you mix it in, what problems are you having with the yeast?

I used screwy brewers calculator. I used plain corn sugar and 9 TBSP. I mixed w/ 1.5 cups or so of water and boiled for 10mins, cooled it, poured into bottling bucking ran my tube to the bottom of the bottling bucket from the fermentor and let it run into the bottling bucket. They carbed 3 weeks @ 70. The have been in the fridge about a week. Not sure the temp in there. The yeast problem was that I was in a time crunch and didn't have time to let it sit in smack pack for as long as I should or be in the starter.

3 weeks @ 70 deg is a minimum for carbing a beer, the key word here is minimum
I would take them back out of the fridge, warm to 70 deg and swirl each bottle, then let them sit for another 2 weeks, then put 1 bottle in the fridge, leave it for 3 days then try it, if still not carbed try this each week untill they are carbed up.

Big beers and stouts take longer than lighter beers too

Cheers :)

I used screwy brewers calculator. I used plain corn sugar and 9 TBSP. I mixed w/ 1.5 cups or so of water and boiled for 10mins, cooled it, poured into bottling bucking ran my tube to the bottom of the bottling bucket from the fermentor and let it run into the bottling bucket. They carbed 3 weeks @ 70. The have been in the fridge about a week. Not sure the temp in there. The yeast problem was that I was in a time crunch and didn't have time to let it sit in smack pack for as long as I should or be in the starter.

What size batch was it? 9 tbsp = 4.5 oz, but that's in volume not weight. Given that corn sugar is pretty light, my guess is you didn't have enough priming sugar.

What size batch was it? 9 tbsp = 4.5 oz, but that's in volume not weight. Given that corn sugar is pretty light, my guess is you didn't have enough priming sugar.

5 gallon batch. So basically I should use more than the five oz that are given in most kits? I used 4.5 oz out of a 5 oz bag. Now I'm just confused, how much should I have used? That's what the calc told me to use.

Nimand said:
5 gallon batch. So basically I should use more than the five oz that are given in most kits? I used 4.5 oz out of a 5 oz bag. Now I'm just confused, how much should I have used? That's what the calc told me to use.

Well if you used 4.5 oz by weight from a 5 oz bag that you were supplied with in your kit, you are probably fine. But just know that 9 tbsp does not equal 4.5 oz by weight for corn sugar. The calculator I would have thought should have given you a weight of priming sugar to use.

To add (and partially hijack)...I was under impression that you keep beer at room temp (70 deg) to not only carb up but also continue to condition and develop (thx to the yeast)? Or does it continue to condition/develop if cold? I.e.-big beers require up to 4-6 mths of conditioning before they're ready to drink. If these are put in fridge say at 1 mth, doesn't this halt the further conditioning b/c the yeast would go inactive?
I find 4.5oz of dextrose typically OVER carbs my beers so I actually err more towards the 4oz of dextrose to 5 gallons (though this is drinker preference) but you should def not have a problem of undercarbing at that amt given 5 gallons is being bottled. I also use the natural "whirlpool" from the siphoning onto the priming solution and have never had inconsistent carbing in the batch. I do change the direction of the whirlpool a couple times during the siphon to create some slight "turbulence" in order to better distribute. Sounds like for whatever reason your solution just didn't mix in well.

Hmm i would guess like others here have mentioned that the priming solution is not mixed well... ive had this problem once before. where 5 bottles exploded and a few was perfect carbed for a Belgian golden beer. I all ways transfer my beer to a 2nd fermenter two days before bottling, and add sugar after cleaning 60 bottles (hate that part) add sugar deluded in water and stir it inn. I have a brown ale now that's been bottled for uhm 10 days. and its quit well carbed now. and yeah its sitting in around 10c for bottling condition

Actually I'm having the same problem. I made a Wheat beer. 5gal temps 65-68 (Back bedroom) Primary 1 week. Secondary 3 weeks. Bottled with 5oz of corn sugar that came in NB wheat kit. Bottled, waited 3 weeks. Popped a couple open different days. Nice head that lasts, lots of tiny bubbles but within minutes they disappear. Oh, and when I pop the cap on a bottle there is a little girly hiss but not the usual good strong hiss normally heard when opening a beer. Any ideas?

Washing your glass with soap will kill your head. Wash with hot water. Scrub with salt and rinse again.

@ballsy, yes you should age/condition most of your beers at 70 deg, and the age/conditioning process dose not stop completely if you put a beer in the fridge at 1 month old, but it will age/condition super slow and take for ever to finish, some of the yeast will keep working at a very slow rate even in cold temps.

Yeast strains also like different temps so each yeast strain will be affected by temperature differently.

Hope this helps!

Cheers :mug:

Latest posts

Back