Uncensored recipe feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebigtone

Reaction score
Have some extra ingredients around and thinking of brewing a pseudo dunkel / brown ale. Not interested in BJCP styles, just going for something on the darker side, bready and roasty. Hoping to stay a touch lighter than a porter or stout.

Poke some holes in this:

7 lbs Brewers malt
5 lbs Great Western Munich
1 lb Dingemans biscuit
0.5 Viking Dark Chocolate

1 oz Willamette 60 mins
0.5 is Willamette 5 mins

1 packet Kveik, either Voss or Lutra (dried)
Water adjusted 2:1 chloride to sulphate
Mash 150

General thoughts? Is 1lb biscuit too much? Kveik too odd for this one? I’m brewing tomorrow, let me know!

i'm un familar with the munich, what lovibond?

i might take it easier on it myself....i'd also toss some crystal in to smooth the transition to the chocolate?

For what you say you want, I’d cut the biscuit in half. Everything else seems reasonable. A pound of biscuit might make that beer more chewy and bready than you want. Munich will carry the weight and give you a pronounced malt character without too much body at 150*. Which is dunkel-ish

I agree about the biscuit malt but I don't personally know what it would do... That amount of chocolate might push it into being more like a porter but I think it will be a pretty good beer.

Also, that % Munich is going to make for a malty brew, biscuit aside. Still malty but more balanced at something like 9-10# two row to 2-3 Munich.

Lightly hopped with Willa is a good choice for a smooth, lighter brew.

I probably won't use Kveik again making the brews I want to drink, but everyone has their own taste.

I agree about the biscuit malt but I don't personally know what it would do... That amount of chocolate might push it into being more like a porter but I think it will be a pretty good beer.

Thanks, I am definitely most on the fence about the biscuit. At 1 lb it’s about 7% of the mash, which isn’t too bad. I know it’s not the same as a light crystal but I was looking at it like a Victory type of addition.

Here is a commercial recipe for a dunkle / brown ale

EstimatedSRM22
EstimatedIBU12
EstimatedOG1.053
EstimatedFG1.013
EstimatedABV5%
Pre-Boil VOL6.25Gallons
Post-Boil VOL5.25Gallons
Mash Efficiency75%
Grain Bill
LBSOzName
50Wheat Malt
40MUNICH MALT II - WEYERMANN
10Pale Chocolate Malt
Hops
OzName
1Saaz
Yeast
1 pkgSafbrew WB-06
Boil Additions
OzMinName
160Saaz
Fermentation
21DaysPrimary

Voss. I was on the fence but decided to save my Lutra for another style. Color looks great after brewing, nice deep brown but definitely not black.

Also ended up at 1.057 OG, a little higher than I expected mashing at 150, via BIAB. It’s already bubbling away a few hours after adding yeast, think this one will be ready in about 10-12 days.

Back