Recipe thoughts.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilljack13

That's what she said!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have some random grains and trying to find something to brew to finish up some of the smaller amounts. I put the below together on a whim and figured I would try it with voss kveik.

Completely random trial. Does anything stick out that would be bad based on your experience? Appreciate any feedback!

Mash 152F for 75 min
Mash out 170F 10 min

60 min boil
5Lb Pale Ale (Viking)
4Lb Pilsen (Bestmalz)
4Lb Vienna (Weyerman)
2Lb Biscuit (Dingemans)
1.5Lb Caramunich II (Weyerman)

2 oz EKG @ 60
2 oz EKG @ 30
2 oz Fuggles @ 15

1 pack voss kveik ~80-95F 7ish days
Crash to 35F & keg carb/condition

OG 1.074
FG1.017(?)
ABV 7.5%
IBU 61.4
SRM 12.5

The recipe builder matched it to American Strong Ale.
😂 I agree with @Yooper. I'd probably do a pound each maximum of the biscuit and cara. I'd maybe save some of the EKG for a slightly later addition too. I like what they add at 5 mins and I'd like to see how it plays with the yeast profile. You may not want that, though. No major problems as is. Tweak if you want and go for it.

We just keep telling him to do less and less of the biscuit and cara 😂

@hilljack13 just make an English pale ale already would ya!
Well, I guess that's what it will be since nobody wants to try something new....could have had the next best thing! J/K ;)

I have only used the biscuit once, but it was with smoked cherry and it didn't turn out so well. What is the flavor profile of the biscuit? For now it sits at around 12% of the grain bill. I thought I read somewhere that up to 10-15% was good.

Well, I guess that's what it will be since nobody wants to try something new....could have had the next best thing! J/K ;)

I have only used the biscuit once, but it was with smoked cherry and it didn't turn out so well. What is the flavor profile of the biscuit? For now it sits at around 12% of the grain bill. I thought I read somewhere that up to 10-15% was good.
I always get toasty and crackery from the Dingemans biscuit. I think it's a divisive malt for many people when used in larger amounts, though. Some people love a pretty heavy addition of it. Many don't. Honestly, try the recipe as is if you are feeling a little adventurous. It won't ruin the beer outright. I also believe half measures often leave you just wondering. If you're exploring flavors and think you'll like it then go for it. If you just want a beer you can definitely easily drink through then pull back on it.

Biscuit malt is very dry feeling. It's hard to explain but it's like your mouth feels after eating a lot of crackers. It small amounts, it's great. In more than a small amount, it's terrible. I'd go with no more than 5% or so, and even then it'll be noticeable. I have an IPA recipe that I like (a nice dry highly hopped IPA) that uses 12 pounds of two row, and 5 ounces of biscuit malt. And that's plenty in that use. With any crystal malt, I could tolerate a bit more I"m sure. You definitely don't want 2 pounds in ANY beer, but definitely not in a nice English pale ale.

Biscuit is very drying and toasty. I limit myself to 2.5% to maybe 5% in light beers, leaning to the lower side with lower gravity. It works nice in tripels that need some dryness. Higher amounts up to 1.5-2 pounds can be used in dark strong stouts when you aim for 1.120+ OG imo.

I like 60/30/1 hopping on English beers by the way. I'd go for EKG/Fuggle/EKG personally.

I decided to do a 1 gal batch before going all in. Today is brew day!

I dropped the caramunich II and the biscuit ended up 13% of the grain bill. I also swapped the EKG (5%AA) with magnum (12.3%AA), just so I could lower the amount of hops and trub. We'll see how this ends up in a few days if that kviek goes to town quick. Good thing it's hot in AL right now! Going to set this in the garage to ferment.

So, yup
This thing is 1.5hs after pitching (2.5g) and the krausen has started. Air lock activity every 6 seconds!
20240615_200217.jpg

Latest posts

Back