uncappable bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
I just threw away the first pry off bottle I've thrown away since I started brewing. It was one of those hobgoblin bottles. It looked like you could cap it with a floor capper, but I have the other kind and it was to thick under the cap for it to get a grip on the bottle. It wouldn't have hurt so bad if it had been a 12 oz.

billybrew said:
I just threw away the first pry off bottle I've thrown away since I started brewing. It was one of those hobgoblin bottles. It looked like you could cap it with a floor capper, but I have the other kind and it was to thick under the cap for it to get a grip on the bottle. It wouldn't have hurt so bad if it had been a 12 oz.
Save that bottle, cuz you're gonna end up getting a bench capper anyway. :) I just used mine for the first time last night...almost made bottling day tolerable, the capping goes so fast. Plus I capped 35 of those green bottles that my wing capper wouldn't, and a hobgoblin bottle to boot. :D

billybrew said:
Do they really make bottling that much easier? I have a concept of how they work, but I don't get how they make it much easier.
Not sure about easier, but it goes much faster, and there's not all that stress waiting for the next bottle to shatter.

You should be able to use it. True, it comes with a cork and bale, but the bottle is also lipped and will accept a crown cap just fine. I've been using champagne bottles since 1998, and I've never had an issue capping them with a regular old beer-bottle capper.

-walker

Walker said:
You should be able to use it. True, it comes with a cork and bale, but the bottle is also lipped and will accept a crown cap just fine. I've been using champagne bottles since 1998, and I've never had an issue capping them with a regular old beer-bottle capper.

-walker
Hey dude, where ya been? I haven't seen you around here in a while. Do you use a floor capper on those also?

I've been really busy at work, so I don't have the time to read/post here as much as I had been doing (which was arguable 'too much' in the first place.)

I use a wing capper (the red or black 2-lever jobbies) for the champagne bottles, but a friend of mine uses a bench capper. Either one works.

I guess I'm not sure what a 'floor capper' even is. :confused:

-walker

Walker said:
I've been really busy at work, so I don't have the time to read/post here as much as I had been doing (which was arguable 'too much' in the first place.)

I use a wing capper (the red or black 2-lever jobbies) for the champagne bottles, but a friend of mine uses a bench capper. Either one works.

I guess I'm not sure what a 'floor capper' even is. :confused:

-walker
Just something I made up!

Back