Um guys- is this infected?!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyangler18

Reaction score
Yep. :D

Look at that beautiful Lactobacillus bloom- so tasty.

IMG_5627.JPG

Berliner Weisse FTW.

MMM Berliner Weisse!!

Keep us posted on how it turns out!

I pulled a sample just after snapping this pic, and it's pretty damn awesome now. Nice clean sour with typical wheatiness. I'm going to let it go another month then into the keg it goes- carbing to 3.5- 4 volumes.

Can't really tell since left the flash on your camera. The glare is right where we need to see. But if it looks like it has a skin and not bubbles, I'd say it's safe to say you have an infection.

Can't really tell since left the flash on your camera. The glare is right where we need to see. But if it looks like it has a skin and not bubbles, I'd say it's safe to say you have an infection.

I know that it most certainly has an infection; it was intentional.

Do you like sourdough bread? If so, take a bit of that wort and infect a sourdough starter. :)

Do you like sourdough bread? If so, take a bit of that wort and infect a sourdough starter. :)

Oh, I've already got a sourdough starter in my fridge. And that's actually a finished beer that's just continuing to sour as the lacto chews.

:off:
Found the Berliner Weisse interesting (something I’d like to try someday), but what caught my eye was the Old Speckled Hen in the background. Started looking for recipes and found Ofry’s. My wife got home and wanted to go out to eat, so we walk down to the corner (Sergeantsville Inn) and wouldn’t you know, OSH is on tap. Time for some serious research. Three pints later and I’m sold. Will have to work this into my brew schedule real soon.

Thanks for the inspiration.
:)

You said you're going to let it sit another month, how long has it been fermenting?
I plan on brewing a BW, but don't have any idea how long to expect, start to finish.

You guys are making me jealous. Stop it. :cross:

Srsly, I have never tried a Berliner Weiss. Any suggestions for good commercial examples I should look for?

Any you can find!

That's the hard part. There are only a few brewers doing this style.

you guys using a newly converted Souring carboy? or will anyone take the chance of pitching a non sour back into these carboys?

I plan on only using mine for sours, but I would be ok with going back to a regular beer in a carboy. Glass is not permeable, so why the heck not?

Back