Uh Oh... Wrong Yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrugCoder

Reaction score
Somehow I let myself end up with all the ingredients for a Peace Java Stout....except the yeast. It calls for a Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley. Currently the yeast I have is some Wyeast 1272 All-Am Ale, some Muntons dry yeast, and a packet of Safbrew t-58.

Assuming UPS doesn't get delayed I have two packs of PacMan yeast that will be here tomorrow.

Will any of these be a halfway decent substitution for the 1275 that it calls for?

I would say that the Muntons would probably be the closest match with regards to ester profile. I've never used it, but have heard some not so good things about it. Maybe do a search and decide for yourself.

From Wyeast's description of 1275, it seems pretty restrained. The PacMan or 1272 are probably pretty close. I have used 1272 a couple of times and I absolutely love it. I think it would work well with a coffee stout. I've also heard good things about the PacMan yeast (the APA that got 2nd place BOS in the HBT competition used it).

I'd use the Pacman, myself. It makes Shakespeare Stout, after all. :)

Of course! I completely forgot about the Shakespeare Stout. I guess I will be using the pacman if it arrives in time tomorrow..

Thanks for the replies!

Back